Face first into left turning Mondeo! What next?

blacknosugar
blacknosugar Posts: 36
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Usually I take the CS3 route down Poplar High Street, but this morning I decided to take East India Dock Road instead.

So, I'm going along in the bus lane at pretty much top speed on the SS (so about 22-24 mph), when a car in the traffic lane starts to turn left in front of me.
The biker next to me leans on his horn to warn the driver/me. Driver ignores this and keeps turning directly across my path, and I peel off as much speed as I can before smacking face first into his passenger window!

Two motorcyclists stopped to make sure I was OK and gave me their contact details. I owe them a big thank you as otherwise I probably wouldn't have had it together enough to involve the police/ambulance - I was a tad shaky for a few minutes!

I got taken to A&E and have had the all clear, so got off with a headache, a stiff neck, a graze and a nice bruise on my arm.

But my previously pristine newish bike now has scuffed bar tape and seat, scraped drop brake lever, other brake knocked sideways, bent mudguard, my expensive newish Deuter bag is scuffed and I need a new helmet. B@$tard!

I have no idea what I should do next though, can I claim for this minor damage?
Do I need to do something seperately from the police investigating etc?

P.S. Helmets are fab!
"Always carry a firearm East of Aldgate, Watson."

Comments

• Oh, and I'm self-employed so lost a mornings pay. B@$tard!
    (He was a tw@t too, not sure what he thought was so funny...)
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Did you get the drivers details?
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • I just got his reg number, but cops turned up while I was getting checked by the ambulance crew, so I'm sure they'll have taken his details. I told them I did want to take it further.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I got hit recently resulting in similar damage/injury. Luckily the driver who hit me was very apologetic, admitted fault straight away and got his insurance on it ASAP*.

The main thing is to get in touch with his insurers. Hopefully he/they won't dispute anything seeing as you've got witnesses, but you never know. But once I was in contact with the drivers insurers they were pretty quick in sorting out a medical assessment (to 'value' my injuries), they sent a cheque out to cover the costs of the damage (including assessment & report by a bike shop) a day after I sent them the 'bill'. And they've offered physio if I need it. Hopefully the driver in your case won't try to weasel out of it.

As for the police side of things, I can't help I'm afraid as I didn't go down that route.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Nice he found it so funny.

Personally, I would claim for all the damage and any personal injury you suffer along with loss of earnings for however long you need off work.

Be carefull you make sure you are fully better before you confirm the extent of your injuries as sometimes you will find what seemed like a stiff neck will be worse after a few days.

The fact he was laughing at you would make me all the more determined to claim for everything he has damaged of yours. He clearly didn't think it serious knocking you off so hopefully the insurance premium he will have to pay will make him think twice.

See where you can go with the police for him causing the accident as well.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    He found it funny? That's disgusting :( Some people eh :evil:
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Yeah, follow the advice above. Might be an idea to lodge a claim through a cycle friendly solicitor as they may be better able tro advise you on how to get the driver's insurance details from the police.

Glad you are ok and do make sure you are compensated for all you deserve.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    As I have asked here many times before, I assume you were using a headcam £9, then you have all the evidence you need.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    edited March 2011
    Fingers Xed they were insured.

Glad you're alright. you'll ache tomorrow, keep a record of every thing you can and cannot do, everything that causes you pain etc. Keep receipts for any cost you have incurred, for things like taxis/buses/trains while you can't ride through injury or damage to your bike, also proof of value of anything that was damaged, like your watch, clothing, shoes, bike, bag etc and now is a good time to start looking for proof of ownership (receipts, statements etc) of anything you lost, sunglasses, gloves, lights etc

Be honest with any claim you make, no good claiming for a £8K rolex when you were wearing a £40 casio, likewise don't claim for things that you didn't own

If they were insured it makes the case a lot easier. If they weren't, don't get your hopes up for a payout, big or small
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Nice he found it so funny.
    He found it funny? That's disgusting Some people eh

I know! Like the paramedic guy said - it could have been nervous laughter, but... not right in the head! :shock:
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    First things first. I hope you recover quickly and fully.

Are you a memeber of LCC or CTC they have solictors setup for this kind of thing with free legal advice.

http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=403

and

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4461

The later also says you can call if your not a member and they maybe able to help.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    CLickinh through from CTC links got me to here

http://www.rjw.co.uk/legal-services/acc ... ng-claims/
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    I assume you were using a headcam £9, then you have all the evidence you need.

Link to said headcam?
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've had 2 of the MD80 clones. The battery has never lasted more than 15 minutes. So useless for a lot of commutes unless you plan your collisions beforehand.

Although the footage quality was alright: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6nW2G1Uw-A
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:

Link to said headcam?

I second that request. If I'd have had a camera I'd have had the ultimate silly cyclist clip yesterday.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    pastryboy wrote:
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:

Link to said headcam?

I second that request. If I'd have had a camera I'd have had the ultimate silly cyclist clip yesterday.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MD80-Mini-DV-DVR- ... 2a0ed21d8a

As Bails87 says though, the battery life is crap unless your commute is 15 minutes.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • My md80 lasts for well over an hour.
  • I've got one of these. Battery lasts 90 mins or more and can take several hours video on an 8GB card. SInce it comes in a torch body it's easy to mount on handlebars or helmet.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Make him really laugh and claim for everything you can.

He'll be laughing on the other side of his face when it comes to insurance renewal time.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,396
    Nice he found it so funny.
    He found it funny? That's disgusting Some people eh

I know! Like the paramedic guy said - it could have been nervous laughter, but... not right in the head! :shock:

I was thinking the same thing - some people act a bit strange when they realise they realise they've done something properly stupid, almost like a sort of denial. Unless of course he is just a complete fourletterwordofyourchoice.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition