The unexpected BONK

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Steady now Hambones it's not that kind of bonk. :P

Okay check this out, this morning I stripped the rear mech, which fixed the skipping gears, sweet! - So off I set on a test ride and something doesn't feel right, there's a strong south wind here so I settle in to a nice ride in the sun, but something is really wrong - second lap felt a little better so I thought i'd head home and get out the "carbon" bike.

That made no difference in fact if anything I felt slower and I had this weird feeling when I sat on-board, kinda like everything didn't fit. Off I set on the same route but in reverse all the while getting slower and slower, then .....

BONK!!!! massively 5 miles later, i'm all over the place legs wobbly can't think straight, swerving in the road and everything. I have no idea why?? I have had a couple of poor nights sleep and eaten less lately but really no reason to BONK so badly and on such a short gentle ride, getting home was a proper struggle, it didn't even occur to me to stop and call home or even stop in a village farm shop for food.

I've bonked before but only after cycling 40 miles (commute) the day I returned from 3 weeks in Auz and once or twice before when riding long hard sportives - so why now?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Virus? Dehydration?
  • itboffin
    Nope
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I once piled in riding home from work - needing two petrol station stops, one mars bar, can of coke, packet of fig rolls and a pint of milk . . . . . It's only 17 miles . . . . . an hour. . . .

Sometimes the planets align and you plough in......

Other times I'm starving and tired when I get on the bike but fly home with angels pushing . . . .

Fizzy-ology is beyond me..
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'll lay bet on a viral infection, I often feel leaden and wonder why only for the cold to strike the next day.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itboffin
    So i've eaten now and was just gonna head back out, stood up and my body said otherwise :?

I know i've been for 3 x 10 miles loops of my village but could tell you any detail about the journey, how messed up is that!
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    itboffin wrote:
    So i've eaten now and was just gonna head back out, stood up and my body said otherwise :?

I know i've been for 3 x 10 miles loops of my village but could tell you any detail about the journey, how messed up is that!

I'd call it a day - crack open a can of Super-strength and switch Jeremy Kyle show on or re-read the Hambones thread
  • itboffin
    That's a good point actually JZed i've canned the beer drinking (no pun) perhaps that's why?! you know like less carb intake or something :roll:
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    itboffin wrote:
    That's a good point actually JZed i've canned the beer drinking (no pun) perhaps that's why?! you know like less carb intake or something :roll:

You are off the sauce - God's teeth man - It's a wonder you can talk let alone ride a bike....

I'm selling my shares in Diageo right now....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Withdrawal symptoms by the sound of it - get some decent whiskey in your waterbottle
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I think you're used to riding with a certain blood alcohol level. you're quite clearly sobering up and your body isn't used to it yet.
    Hat + Beard
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I'd blame Wiggle
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • itboffin
    Look leffe me alone you lot :roll: :wink:

:lol:
  • itboffin
    Just scoffed a two person portion of Tesco flavourless curry meal, blah! but at least I can now remember what happened today.

Universal order has been restored, GT your shares are safe :wink:
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Not a nice thing to happen glad yourfeeling better as an aside were you out on Saturday on you blue ribble?
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • itboffin
  • Nik Cube
    edited March 2011
    i thought i may have seen you riding past the park in ludgershall I was out with the little one playing on swings and sliding down slides,

I had been out on the bike earlier
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • itboffin
    Once again i'm hoping to try and attend the next Bike Shed sat ride, Mrs itboffin has her last long run before the London marathon so hopefully nothing will stop me.
  • Nik Cube
    I often see them on a saturday as i ride home
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • I'll lay bet on a viral infection, I often feel leaden and wonder why only for the cold to strike the next day.....

Simon
    +1

Decided to take a slightly longer route home on Friday as it was a nice day, if a bit windy. 18 miles vs the usual 12. After about 6 miles I was feeling like my legs were made of lead and the bike weighed twice as much as usual. Struggled home and dismissed it as an "off" day.

By Sunday, dripping with the cold, hacking cough & three days off work with man-flu.
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain