The budget

UpTheWall
UpTheWall Posts: 207
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
Did anyone notice the 100m allocated to "potholes" in the budget?

My initial thought: hallelujah!

My second: hang on, most times they repair a pothole, it's so shoddy it crumbles within weeks...

Fingers crossed.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    isn't the pothole requirement after the winter almost an order of magnitude greater than that
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, and I'm sure they'd already cut the budget to councils to repair potholes by a lot more than that. Then they give them a little bit (yes £100m is a lot of money, but not for every council to repair every pothole) and make it seem like they're being generous.

But finally the War On The Motorist is starting to end, wahey :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I reckon they're holding off repairing the London ones until just before everyone starts to arrive for the Olympics next year. Otherwise they'll do them now, then have to do them again after next winter.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    I reckon they're holding off repairing the London ones until just before everyone starts to arrive for the Olympics next year. Otherwise they'll do them now, then have to do them again after next winter.

there is a huge amount of infrastructure work currently being done in the 5 host boroughs.

the work to improve routes both for cars ( boo) and cycles (yay) has started and needs to continue at a tremendous pace if its going to be complete for the 2012 olympics.

a quick botched repair job costs over twice that of a proper repair 1st time.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • bails87
    DesWeller wrote:

there is a huge amount of infrastructure work currently being done in the 5 host boroughs.

the work to improve routes both for cars ( boo) and cycles (yay) has started and needs to continue at a tremendous pace if its going to be complete for the 2012 olympics.

God, there's some new "repairs" on my way home from work, that look like the tarmac just fell off the back of the lorry when it bumped through the pothole. Properly atrocious, lumpy tarmac, spilling over the edges and only filling 3/4 of the hole, so it's still got the sharp edge.
    MTB/CX

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    £100,000,000 Very nice but it's a drop in the ocean, nowhere near enough. There's plenty of pot-hole ridden tarmac on our fair isle.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • bails87
    £100,000,000 Very nice but it's a drop in the ocean, nowhere near enough. There's plenty of pot-hole ridden tarmac on our fair isle.

And the pothole repair budget was cut by £130 million, so the "£100m extra for pothole repairs" could be seen as a £30m cut.
    MTB/CX

• Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Wasn't that sum of money announced before some weeks ago? I doubt if it's new money.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Indeed.

Rather like the apprentice schemes which were announced - loads more were cancelled last budget, and they're now funding much fewer than they were before the emergency budget.

Still - at least there is a formal recognition that it is an issue > it essentailly forces councils to spend money on it.
  • bails87

Still - at least there is a formal recognition that it is an issue > it essentailly forces councils to spend money on it.

Yep, that would be 'localism'. Take away a load of money, then give the councils a bit more freedom on what they spent the remaining money on. What's that, potholes haven't been mended? Wasn't us guv, it's the nasty councils. :roll:
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bails87 wrote:

Yep, that would be 'localism'. Take away a load of money, then give the councils a bit more freedom on what they spent the remaining money on. What's that, potholes haven't been mended? Wasn't us guv, it's the nasty councils. :roll:

Indeed.

They may be sh!t governers, but they're good at politics.
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    DesWeller wrote:

Are they still going to have an Olympic only car lane? That's going to be funny.
  • UpTheWall
    UpTheWall Posts: 207
    bails87 wrote:

That's a good poitn and something that's been bothering me for a while.

Blame shifting is a very easy interpretation of so many government initiatives at devolving powers, from the MPC to issues above.

I've never really understood this drive towards localism that both the current and previous administrations have lauded...
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Hard to imagine why Sheffield council have no money to fix potholes....

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/nea ... _1_3193430

:roll:
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    ...and how long before the true costs of the olympics are revealed...?
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    you'll never know
    FCN 12
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I am not sure about the exact year but Montreal finally paid off their debt within the past few years - for the 1976 olympics! :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bails87 wrote:
    Yep, and I'm sure they'd already cut the budget to councils to repair potholes by a lot more than that. Then they give them a little bit (yes £100m is a lot of money, but not for every council to repair every pothole) and make it seem like they're being generous.

But finally the War On The Motorist is starting to end, wahey :roll:

The war on the motorist won't begin until the clips from AK47s are unloaded in driver's doors across the country and Jeremy Clarkson's screams are drowned out by the all-encompassing bonfire flames he has been consumed by.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!