Foot & Pedal Position

Zard36
Zard36 Posts: 28
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Just a quick question, what is the correct position for your foot on the pedal, should it be at the centre of your foot, or towards the front of your toes & more on the central ball area of your foot?

Just wondered, as I've just watch a down hill video & most of these guys had there pedals roughly in the centre of there foot.

NB, I do ride with SPD's but am willing to move the cleat around to suit.

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ball overish axle.

but does vary a bit on the person.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • xtremedash
    xtremedash Posts: 182
    For general riding, trails, XC, etc your foot ideally wants to have the ball of your foot over the axle of your pedal.
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • As long as your comfy it doesn't matter.
    Personally i prefer the pedal in the middle of my foot, it just feels more secure and I feel more confident with it there.

Regards

Chris
    GT Zaskar mmmmm yummy!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I tend to shift my foot around depending what I'm doing. For general pedalling, I have the ball of my foot over the axle, but for steep descents or jumping/pratting around, I'll usually have my foot central on thh pedal.
  • GPierotti
    GPierotti Posts: 104
    I tend to shift my foot around depending what I'm doing. For general pedalling, I have the ball of my foot over the axle, but for steep descents or jumping/pratting around, I'll usually have my foot central on thh pedal.

I'm the same, i find it easier to scoop the pedals around with the middle of my foot, i use flat pedals so i'm back and forth a bit.
  • i'm the same as yeehaa. if i'm climbing/on the flat i will generaly have the ball of my foot over the axle. anything else i usually have my foot centered on the pedal. seems to give a bit more security that way.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    But as the OP is clipped in it is not an option. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265

+ potato.
    Can get more power for climbing with ball of foot over axle because it allows calf muscles to join the action. On descents central is more stable - especially when you're weighted right back off the saddle, and also gives calves a break.
    Ability to reposition feet is one reason I don't use SPDs.
    Fear of being connected to my bike while falling on my **** is another :) .
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    nicklouse wrote:
    But as the OP is clipped in it is not an option. :wink:
    Well, in that case...
    The correct position of your foot is on a flat pedal :lol:
  • Most specs say that ball of the foot over the axle is the best, but I much prefer my cleats to a bit more forward. Everyone is different with what they prefer.
  • Muttly1981
    Muttly1981 Posts: 815

I do pretty much the same when climbing i have the pedal forward towards the ball of my foot but when bombing down trails i have the pedal central as i find it easier to throw the bike around in corners. My riding buddy has followed me down tracks,trails etc and he said that i constantly adjust my feet on the pedal as i read the terrain in front, where as he hardly ever changes his foot position as he says he's needs to think about where he needs to put his feet where as i just seem to do it naturally.
    The funny thing is he's very smooth on the trails where as i attack jumps and corners etc i'm slightly quicker than him over the red run at Llandegla but by being so aggresive i'm shattered by the end where as he is fresh and ready to do another lap but he come's from a xc background where as i have always been a fan of the rough stuff.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?