Information on 4X

scandalousg
scandalousg Posts: 121
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Anyone know where I can get some good information on the types of frames/sizes etc and some other questions?

Had a look on the forum list and unable to see anything for 4x

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ask away.

frames tend to be about 14" but that is a useless bit of info as you dont sit down. so you need to look at top tub length and what is right for you.

forks about 100mm or less.

gears 9 or 10 with guide.

everything else strong and light.

tyres depend on the track and conditions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • scandalousg
    Well you seem to have answered most of my questions above! Cheers Nick.

So do frames come in different size top tubes but most have the same height?

Are they any particular brands to stay away from or are they all okay depending on what you've got to spend?
  • nicklouse
    well weight is always an issue so dont confuse the steel jump frames with the alloy 4X frames.

for starters i would have a look at the Identiti Krisis (SL) and other similar frames

forks. you will see racers running XC forks (some can take a knock or two but....) I would start off with strength as the forks tend to break first and as you get better a lighter fork will also make you faster.

also be aware that strong and light is expensive
    strong and not so light is cheaper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • scandalousg
    Ta. Do you ride 4x yourself?
  • nicklouse
    nope but built a few. and know people that do.
  • scandalousg
    Well think I'm gonna go to the first round of the British series and see what's goin down.
  • nicklouse
    best idea.