Manchester to Blackpool 2011 training

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm getting quite into my cycling now with my Trek 7.1FX hybrid that is as fast as it'll ever get. I now want to do the Manchester to Blackpool ride this year. (July 10th)

I'm of average fitness weighing in at 70Kgs, the bike has SPDs, 700x25 slicks and a chopped flatbar. I commute to work Monday to Friday (14 miles daily round trip) and try to get a single ride of 20-30 miles in on a Saturday or Sunday.At the moment I feel like I can handle that and I'm not really tired as such after any of these rides. My 14 mile commute sees me average ~16-17mph over a week so it's a fairly calculated average.

I try to ride at the weekend with a friend but would like to perhaps join a local cycling club in Manchester for the average rider. Are there such clubs welcoming average hybrid riders in Manchester who do some medium distance training rides? The only clubs I hear about are full of serious lycra clad road bikers who probably ride 60-100 miles. I'm thinking I won't exactly be welcomed and I don't have the right gear.

Also does anyone have a mapped route of last years run so I can study the route?

Cheers,
Craig
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    I now want to do the Manchester to Blackpool ride this year. (July 10th)

Are there such clubs welcoming average hybrid riders in Manchester who do some medium distance training rides?

Also does anyone have a mapped route of last years run so I can study the route?

Cheers,
    Craig

I'd say you'll manage Manchester to Blackpool no problem.

http://www.cycle-route.com/routes/Manchester_to_Blackpool-Cycle-Route-3437.html

Not sure where around Manchester is best for you but I used to cycle with Transpennine Cycling Club before moving to London. Used to meet in Shaw but think they now meet in Rochdale. It was more of a Sunday social ride with a mix of riders and bikes. Very friendly bunch. There'll be similar clubs all over Manchester.