Mayfair area bike servicing

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Hey all,

I really need to find a decent bike shop in the Mayfair area - anyone have any suggestions?

Not so much for shopping - more for servicing and doing little bits of repair work here and there...

Ta

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Dear LiT,

Bike servicing in Mayfair?????????? Surely you mean Maybach polishing?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    There isn't anywhere in Mayfair, it doesn't have proper shops as I've found now I'm working here rather than west end.

There is an Evans up on Rathbone Place, (north side of Oxford street near TCR end) which is probably nearest, or Action Bikes down at embankment are pretty good.

Watch out for fast moving Brompton when you are in Mayfair.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    My recommendations owuld be Action bikes on Dacre Street who are great. (I'm also a fan of Action Bikes at Embankment - bit further away).
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    t4tomo wrote:
    There isn't anywhere in Mayfair, it doesn't have proper shops as I've found now I'm working here rather than west end.
    Yeah, even the cakestops are a touch pricey...

two%20girls%20afternoon%20tea%20header.jpg

http://www.thedorchester.com/afternoon-tea
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Was overtaken by a big Merc with numberplate 1 LIT this morning, was it you looking out for a suitable shop?
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Soho not Mayfair but I noticed a very cool looking new(?) bike shop on the north side of Peter St near Wardour St. Can't remember the name but I think it may be these guys - http://www.tokyofixedgear.com/ .
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    edited March 2011
    Not sure Tokyo Fixed is the sort of place you'd drop a bike off for servicing, unless you want to get it back with the brakes removed and bars chopped.

What was Cavendish Cycles (on New Cavendish St) has been taken over by the people who used to work there. It's now known as Fitzrovia Bicycles and although I haven't been in since the change, might be an alternative if you don't fancy Evans.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    If Evans isn't considered abhorrent, the big one on Mortimer St is closer.
  • lost_in_thought
    Thanks guys! Lots to be looking at :) Dacre street is sounding like the closest...
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Thought that your butler was assigned this kind of task, does he have the week off or something?
  • lost_in_thought
    Taken the Mixte into Action Cycles to get the brakes (which I have only made worse by fettling) sorted out, and the gear cable tightened due to my inability to grow the third hand required to do it myself.

Should be ready in time for the ride home! Yay!
  • Specialized Needs
    Specialized Needs Posts: 802
    edited March 2011
    Taken the Mixte into Action Cycles to get the brakes (which I have only made worse by fettling) sorted out, and the gear cable tightened due to my inability to grow the third hand required to do it myself.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cyclo-4th-Hand-inner-wire-pliers_8676.htm
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Mixte doesn't exist til we've seen pics (unless I missed them.....)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lost_in_thought

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cyclo-4th-Hand-inner-wire-pliers_8676.htm

ZOMG

bought.

:D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    \o/
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    Rolf F wrote:

It's still not quite ready! Very nearly though. May use lovely sunny conditions to take photos this arvo :)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Rolf F wrote:

It's just talk at the mo, nobody has seen pics of the latest steed in her stable.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    LiT,

I work in the area and have used fluid cycles on the few occasions when I couldnt/couldnt be @rsed to do it myself. They come to your office on a bike with paniers and do the maintenance there and then in the street. Nice.

fluidcycles.co.uk

J
  • lost_in_thought
    jedster wrote:
    LiT,

I work in the area and have used fluid cycles on the few occasions when I couldnt/couldnt be @rsed to do it myself. They come to your office on a bike with paniers and do the maintenance there and then in the street. Nice.

fluidcycles.co.uk

J

Oooooooooooooh...