Bunny hops, 'no hands', bike handling, etc.....

iclestu
iclestu Posts: 503
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Ok, so I am nearly 2 years and easily over 4000 miles into this cycling lark...

Why is it that nearly every other cyclist I see seems more competent, balanced and assured on their steed than I feel?

You guys regularly speak of bunny hops, and whilst I dont see people talking about riding with hands off handlebars, most cyclists I pass on country lanes give me a wave with one hand without breaking rhythm with such sure and certain balance I have every confidence that they could 'sit up' easily if they so wished.

I, on the other hand, wobble just a little if I need to give a hand signal and could never dream of a bunny hop. (when I say wobble, I don't mean I am incapable of doing it, or unsteady enough to fall off or to be nervous or anything but i DO need to think about it and am definitely less capable than most others i see appear to be).

My hands are on the handlebars for the reason of keeping my upright! I couldn't do 'no hands'. I can scarcely do '1 handed', it throws my balance. I'm not sure, but i think I may need to stop pedalling and freewheel in order to be able to do one-hand (going to check next time im out!! :) )

So, what am I doing wrong? Do these guys practice tricks and stunts? Have they simply just been cycling for longer/more miles? I am still overweight (although much less so than I used to be), is this extra timber throwing my balance?
FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro

Comments

• Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    It's all a matter of confidence and sometimes, just not thinking about it. If you can walk and wave to people at the same time, you can do it on the bike. Practice waving at sheep and cows so you don't get embarrased (unless people see you doing it).
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I suggest that you post a video of you dancing to "Come on Eileen" to demonstrate your general balance, co-ordination and Proprioception.

We can then opine on if you are an unco-ord biff or just a bit of plain clumsy.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I think a few people on here have come from the days of BMX bikes and Mountain biking - I am certainly a child of the "80's and loved BMX riding when I was a kid! progressed to mountain biking in my teens.

Bunny Hops, Pogo's and all sort of other death defying bike stunts were the way to make your way to the top of the village crew......bo!

Advice: Get a mountain bike, find some muddy trails with lots of logs and practice, having to do bunny hops and ride on a slippy surface really will improve those handling skills. Allot of road bikes really are not built for "stunts" or easy to manage when it comes to no hands - depends on riding position.

Lose the panniers, they won't be helping matters and maybe drop your seat slightly. Make sure your bike position is slightly forward, if you are completely upright, it ain't gonna happen.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I can't do no hands on my commuter as the head angle is too steep (the bars start to wobble as soon as the hands come off) but waving one hand is easy.

It is a matter of confidence, tense up at the thought of waving a hand and even before you take that hand off the bar you'll find the bike is weaving slightly due to that tension and the fact your body is no longer flowing with the rythmn of the bike. Bunny hops I practice everyday, means I don't have to slow for the speed bump!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    As above but bizarrely it may also be down to trunk strength. If you are using your hands and by proxy arms n shoulders to stabalise yourself on the bike perhaps do some exercises to build up core strength.

Personally never had issues with no hands and can go round corners leaning in carefully etc. but part of that comes from stabalising my core and letting the legs carry on cycling and letting my arms do other things without affecting the bike. Can't really do bunny hops - I semi-cheat with spds by physically lifting the bike up and over things while on the move.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's just practice.

One day I decided to teach myself to ride no handed.

Couple months later I was.

Helps if you're going faster.

I did 1 handed riding, then one fingered riding, then i'd lift the finger off for increasingly longer periods untill I could go sans hands.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've come from a mountian biking background and have no problems with basic stuff like one/no handers, manuals (off curbs), wheelies (up curbs). There are some long steady sections where I will ride maybe a mile or two without touching the bars.

A lot of it comes down to confidence but you need the basic skills to get the confidence. Try riding as slow as possible to find your balance. At first you will be wobbling all over the place and keep putting your foot down but eventually you'll get smoother. Just practice in the street.
    As for letting go of the bars sometimes no hands is easier than one as you can end up tipping the bike to the side your hand is still on or over compensating and going the other way. Just make sure your going along at a comfortable speed (too slow and you'll wobble and fall (or grab the bars in time), to fast and you'll crap yourself and crash) and your wheel isn't going to hit any rough bits of ground. Once you get used to no holding on steer with your hips, you should be doing this anyway but if you're not holding on it's your only option.
    Wheelies and manuals is more about shifting your wieght than pulling the bars. And bunny hops is just jumping without letting go.

Practice somewhere quiet, smooth and traffic free. Sometimes a slight incline can help.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    Been riding 18 years now and can only just ride no handed. It doesn't have much practical use and so i've never practised it. I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 18, so missed out all that formative early 80's BMX stuff.

Bunny hops are easy on a road bike - you'll never make massive ones, but big enough to skim a pot hole is no problem. Just jump up into the air as you roll along and yank the bike up behind you. "Proper" hops on flat pedals require a different technique, but is far more effective for amplitude. I can just about (and I mean *just* about) hop a fixie now, but I wouldn't like to bet my life on it!

Mountain bikes are great for technique at slower speeds. although trees and rocks are no softer than tarmac or cars (I speak from experience here).

Most of it's practice. I can't wheelie more than a couple of pedal strokes, but I know that's purely down to not practicing wheelies. I can trackstand pretty well because I get to practice every time i meet a red light on my commute. Simple as that. You want to ride no handed? Do it. You'll only manage a second or so for starters, but it'll soon come.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    OP - same.
    Never rode much as a kid so expect it's mostly that and not knowing I know how to do it. No hands on the Langster is okay, road bike feels too light to try. Certain if I do try it'll be fine. Pesky confidence.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    As above but bizarrely it may also be down to trunk strength. If you are using your hands and by proxy arms n shoulders to stabalise yourself on the bike perhaps do some exercises to build up core strength.

^this. Your arms are supposed to be directing the show not really load bearing
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Are you dyspraxic?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:

+1
    Also helps if your saddle is not too low. The bike needs to be balanced, too. I note from your sig you ride with panniers. May have a minor effect
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • motopatter
    motopatter Posts: 179
    JonEdwards wrote:
    I can just about (and I mean *just* about) hop a fixie now, but I wouldn't like to bet my life on it!

thinking about it I recon that's impressive.
    wave your willy here !!!! :)
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    JonEdwards wrote:
    Been riding 18 years now and can only just ride no handed. It doesn't have much practical use and so i've never practised it. I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 18, so missed out all that formative early 80's BMX stuff.

Where it's really handy is when you're on a long ride and need to stretch out your back. Also for unwrapping food and packing away/unpacking clothes from your back pockets.

I made a concerted effort to re-learn (it was very easy when I was a kid!) last year, starting on country lanes. I'm now able to do all the above things and cycle for lengthy periods no-handed, giving my back, arms & wrists a rest. Not sure I'd do it in a tight group yet though!

a serious case of small cogs
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

+1
    Also helps if your saddle is not too low. The bike needs to be balanced, too. I note from your sig you ride with panniers. May have a minor effect

this is making sense..... Kind of....

My arms DEFINITELY bear load. They keep my back in position! Surely your back would get tired if you had to lean over in riding position for any length of time without your arms for support? what am i missing??

DEBH- you may be onto something too, i NEVER dance tho otherwise i'd have done that vid, just for you ;-)

I'm not sure its only a confidence thing either.... Cant really build up slowly to 1 finger then off etc because in order to take one hand off the other one needs to be 'set'. couldnt just have 1 finger there, it just doesnt work like that. Could *maybe* loosen the grip but would really need to be 'leaning' on the hand still on bars. That make sense?

Exercises for core strength? that mean sit-ups?! Not sure i need to be able to bunnyhop enough to persuede me to do some situps!!!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The thing is: you're thinking about it too much and tensing up.

Have someone throw a ball to you and after you've caught it, just *think* about the complex series of calculations you've performed coupled with accurate hand/eye co-ordination to just put your hand where it needs to be to catch the ball.

There's a hell of a lot of stuff going on in those few seconds... however you do it without consciously thinking so it isn't really a problem.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I started cycling and MTBing before some of the posters where born sadly! I predate V brakes and suspension and frankly mountain bikes them selfs though it's neck and neck.

or to put it another way 2 years isn't much really.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    People talk about bunny hops. They talk about 25mph speeds. They talk about a lot of stuff.

I can bunny hop large potholes but I lack the confidence to jump up kerbs. I can ride very very slow near traffic lights but I can't track stand. I can do most stuff riding one handed but no hands is always a bit of a challenge.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Some bikes just don't like no hands, some are fine. My Vanquish will throw you into a hedge if you let go of the bars, the District will go wherever you point your hips.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • MonkeyMonster
    iclestu wrote:
    My arms DEFINITELY bear load. They keep my back in position! Surely your back would get tired if you had to lean over in riding position for any length of time without your arms for support? what am i missing??

Exercises for core strength? that mean sit-ups?! Not sure i need to be able to bunnyhop enough to persuede me to do some situps!!!

Heh heh, you should ideally be able to sit stationary on your bike and move your body from upright down to the angle at which you ride without using your arms at all, seems simple but I'm guessing you are using your arms in your current riding profile too much and that is part of the cause of your imbalance when taking just one hand off. Perhaps another point you may or may not have notice with other wavers is when they do wave its from a more upright position than you realise. When I no hand my upper body is upright over the saddle. No handing while bent over in normal cycle position is not pleasant as centre of balance is too far forward.

I'll let more of the roadies answer the back question as they mostly ride more hunched over than I.
  • Clever Pun
    iclestu wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

+1

this is making sense..... Kind of....

you're missing core strength

of course your arms will take the strain now and again as you get tired.. but they're supposed to be all supple
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    start mtbing and riding trials.... sure fire way to get good at bike handling...

I don't commute but most of the mtb trails I ride are on the other side of the city...so im used to riding in traffic... and bunnyhoping, trackstands and no hands are things I don't even think about any more.... second nature once you learn them...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • jonginge
    iclestu wrote:

Heh heh, you should ideally be able to sit stationary on your bike and move your body from upright down to the angle at which you ride without using your arms at all, seems simple but I'm guessing you are using your arms in your current riding profile too much and that is part of the cause of your imbalance when taking just one hand off. Perhaps another point you may or may not have notice with other wavers is when they do wave its from a more upright position than you realise. When I no hand my upper body is upright over the saddle. No handing while bent over in normal cycle position is not pleasant as centre of balance is too far forward.

I'll let more of the roadies answer the back question as they mostly ride more hunched over than I.
    The lower back muscles aren't that strong and fatigue quite quickly (sore back on long rides etc). So, it's about core strength rather than back strength. Sit-ups aren't a great exercise. Plank is your friend.

Funnily enough I was amusing myself on last night's commute by riding along for a bit with my hands an inch or so above the hoods rather than on them.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I can wheely my Brompton the length of the Euston Road. Beat that!

Some of the above might not be strictly true but if it goads someone else into trying it, I'd like to see it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • MonkeyMonster
    JonGinge wrote:
    Funnily enough I was amusing myself on last night's commute by riding along for a bit with my hands an inch or so above the hoods rather than on them.

But then you are a little odd... :D [shuts door firmly to his glass house]
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

But then you are a little odd... :D [shuts door firmly to his glass house]
    GPWM
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Could be your bike, I've ridden since I was a kid with some big gaps but as they say, its as easy as riding a bike when I get back on. One of my steeds I simply can't balance, I could probably ride my other 2 around mini roundabouts no handed but not this one.

Find some speedy single track trails, you'll soon scare yourself into throwing the bike around to stay alive.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    SimonAH wrote:
    Some bikes just don't like no hands, some are fine. My Vanquish will throw you into a hedge if you let go of the bars, the District will go wherever you point your hips.
    Some bikes are twitchier than others. I find it takes quite a long time for me to get comfortable with riding a new bike no handed as they all respond dramatically differently to the way your body moves. One handed isn't a problem on pretty much any bike.

As others have said the bunnyhops, wheelies and no-handed riding are skills that require some practice to get good at them. I picked up most of them as a child but I have been known to go and play around for half an hour on my MTB to keep the skills fresh.

Not sure that core strength is that relevant to no-hands riding as I've been able to do it for years and up until recently my core strength was a complete joke. :D When riding no hands your body will be pretty much upright and you are controlling the bike through gentle hip movements. The twitchier the bike the smoother and smaller the hip movements need to be.

Mike
  • Clever Pun
    t4tomo wrote:
    I can wheely my Brompton the length of the Euston Road. Beat that!

Some of the above might not be strictly true but if it goads someone else into trying it, I'd like to see it.

I wheelied my brompton after too many beers and landed squarely on my face :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    when i was younger i used to descend the purbeck hills by sitting right back on my saddle, lean forward until my chin was nearly touching my stem and holding my hands together behind my back, lifted up to form a kind of aerodynamic 'tail'.

I dont do it anymore because its quite frankly suicidal.