Raceface in liquidation?

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Following a thread where a few people mentioned that Raceface had gone into liquidation, and their site was down, which it was, I was wondering if anybody knows any more on this, as an article on here seems to confirm that this is true, however their site is back up again. I'm merely curious, as I rather like raceface gear...
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• ilovedirt
    so how come the site is back up then?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • No idea, maybe for product info/tech docs?

I wonder what happens to warranties in this situation....

this is pretty damming though..
    I wish the situation was as optimistic as Fraser paints it, but we've been told the company is going to be liquidated, and 90% of us are unemployed as of next week. They'll keep a few people on to assist with the liquidation.

My tenure with the company has been short, but it's been a fun ride. Thanks to all the great athletes, customers, and media folks I've had the opportunity to work with. Thanks also to the amazing group of coworkers I have out here. All of you make stuff like this hurt a lot less.

--JP
  • ilovedirt
    I doubt any warranties will be honoured to be honest... It does suck, raceface made some really cool parts, I was looking forward to the day when I could afford some spangly atlas cranks :(
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    I doubt any warranties will be honoured to be honest... It does suck, raceface made some really cool parts, I was looking forward to the day when I could afford some spangly atlas cranks :(

not missing out tbh.. the colour wears off pretty easy :lol:
  • all warrenties become void, as they do with all companys that face closure,:(

on the bright side their products will have to be sold off from stores as cheap prices due to the above, this should mean a huge saving on their gear
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • ilovedirt
    on the bright side their products will have to be sold off from stores as cheap prices due to the above, this should mean a huge saving on their gear
    Good point, i wouldn't mind me some atlas bars for my new DH build.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    all warrenties become void, as they do with all companys that face closure,:(

Not so, taken from Silverfish b2b:

Silverfish UK Press Release
    It is with much regret that we have to announce that after 18 years of trading, Race Face components has gone into administration. Last Friday the 11th March 2011 saw one of mountain biking's premier component manufacturers switch off the machines and close its doors for the last time.

We have been involved with Race Face since the late nineties distributing their range of hardware components, soft goods and armour to the UK market. Even after this shock news everyone here at Silverfish remains behind the cutting edge brand 100% as we are sure that new life will be breathed back into the Vancouver machine shop once a new owner has been found.

It has been great to see the huge amount of support for Race Face from riders who have been posting and replying to the news stories all over the web. Race Face have been leading the charge since the beginning and pushed every envelope going; from innovative and technologically advanced carbon technology right through to helping pioneer the freeride movement on the North Shore.

Silverfish UK Marketing Manager Pete Drew said "there remains a huge amount of interest in the Race Face brand amongst our customers and we are confident that the current position will have a positive outcome. We still have an excellent range of Race Face products in stock and will continue to sell these in the coming months". We are confident that a new owner will be identified shortly.

Obviously Silverfish will continue to provide support to all our customers, and will continue to honour all warranties for Race Face product supplied by Silverfish UK.

We hope to work closely with Race Face and their administrators in the coming weeks in an attempt to ensure that UK riders can continue to use the high quality products that have become synonymous with the Race Face brand. We will keep you posted.

The Silverfish Team

Published Thursday 17 March 2011

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    ilovedirt wrote:
    so how come the site is back up then?

I would imagine that the administrators will be looking for someone to take the brand on and so have some chance of suppliers/staff getting paid. In order to make RF an attractive proposition to a potential buyer (and let's face it the buyer will be taking on the brand, debt, possibly staff and any other contractual obligations so it is a big undertaking), they need to present it as a valuable concern with marketing and distribution channels in place. Ultimately RF may have a cool "brand" but unless sales and marketing channels, product flow and manufacturing are all seen to be good to go, nobody in their right mind would buy it as a failed enterprise.

With the right VC investment and a strong board of directors to look after the business/operational side of things, there is no reason that RF couldn't enjoy the same kind of boom that SRAM did after getting into the VC funding market.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Damit Dammit Dammit.
    My old raceface bars are lifetime warrantied. What do I do if they fail NOW?
    And they're only about 10 years old :(
  • ilovedirt
    Damit Dammit Dammit.
    My old raceface bars are lifetime warrantied. What do I do if they fail NOW?
    And they're only about 10 years old :(
    Silverfish are honouring all warranties now ;)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Obviously Silverfish will continue to provide support to all our customers, and will continue to honour all warranties for Race Face product supplied by Silverfish UK.

just to correct this, you must of bought the racface gear FROM silverfish not via another outlet.

this is useally the case when companys take over other companys.

i have had issues with many companys before with warrenties and they "say" they give support and honour but in reality they will only do so if you got it direct from them.

support wise that means "you are a valued customer, please hold...."
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    In that case your warranty lies with your retailer, if they got it from silverfish then you're fine. If they got it from rf direct then you're boned...

Same as always, you rarely have a warranty direct to uk distributors, and many of them wont deal with the public, you have your warranty with the retailer.