Breakfast

Teach
Teach Posts: 386
Looking at doing various events including triathlons which are not that close to home. I might have to stay in a B&B the night before. Just wondered what you did for breakfast. Some events need you there very early so I am not sure breakfast will even be ready. Do you have an alternative that you use for such occasions. I would normally have porridge, but don't think a full english breakfast is what I ned before an event!

Comments

• Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Learn to eat just a cereal bar for breakfast before going on a training ride. That way it's less shock to your system :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Take a tupperware of pre-cooked cold pasta (wholemeal) with you - then you can either get your hosts to stick it in the microwave for you or if it's too early for breakfast just eat it cold.

I used to swear by a big hit of pasta about an hour and a half before setting off on a long sportive and I've taken to it for racing as well...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • R8JimBob88
    R8JimBob88 Posts: 285
    I personally struggle with pasta before a big ride. I tend to east pasta the evening before and just some porridge and a banana in the morning
    If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always got....
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    greeny12 wrote:
    Take a tupperware of pre-cooked cold pasta (wholemeal) with you - then you can either get your hosts to stick it in the microwave for you or if it's too early for breakfast just eat it cold.

I used to swear by a big hit of pasta about an hour and a half before setting off on a long sportive and I've taken to it for racing as well...
    Great idea but like JimBob said keep it to 150 grams or so. Otherwise your stomach will be hogging all the blood while it's digesting a huge WAD of rubbery pasta. Not a good start to the day.

Some fruit is a good option. Stay away from too much milk before launching into a high pace, that'll come back to haunt you.

It really depends on the pace though, the faster you're starting off, the less to eat frankly.

If I wanna keep up with the racers in my club I'll keep it to fruit and a bar. If I'm doing the 260km LBL sporive I'll go for a water-based (not milk based, could just by my stomach) porridge.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.