Best route out of London (Trafalgar Sq to Newhaven)

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited April 2013 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning a London Paris trip in July and would like to start at Trafalgar Square. I'll be taking the ferry from Newhaven and wondered what was the best route out of the city heading that way?

Cheers

Tom

Comments

• Hi Tom,
    Which route did you end up taking from London to Newhaven?
    Am doing this ride myself, from St Pauls in September.
  • rodgers73
    To be honest, I can't remember by now! I did plot a Garmin route but no idea which site that was on.

It was 2 years ago though . . .
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
  • rodgers73
    I plotted it in the end simply with a view to avoiding anything a little too busy in terms roads and roundabouts, which shouldn't be too hard for you to do using any GPS site. I have no local knowledge as I'm from South Yorkshire, and I was happy with the route.

In terms of central London you could go up Ludgate Hill from the Cathedral and turn left onto Blackfriars Bridge but that might be a bit boring. What about heading down Fleet Street, the Strand and then left down Whitehall so you go past Big Ben? Over Westminster Bridge with the views back to the Houses of Parliament is lovely.

I remember now that my route was essentially the A23, then the A22 and then right onto Lewes Road and from Lewes its only a short hop to the coast. If that link posted above is about the tunnel at Lewes then you won't be able to go through it but it wasn't hard to find another route.

Seems like sleeping on it has brought back my memory!
  • rodgers73
    I made it to Newhaven in about 6-7 hours of riding on that route so it depends how sedate you want to do it. If you're wanting a more leisurely ride then I wouldn't use my suggestions!
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    In July if you start very early in the morning at the weekend especially Sunday nearly all the roads are empty which makes the ride out through the suburbs much easier. I have ridden past Trafalgar Square and St Pauls on empty roads which is much more fun than fighting traffic.
  • rodgers73
    Yep, can back this up. Left on Thursday morning in July at 7.00am from Trafalgar and it was dead quiet on the roads.