Dee Lecht-able 215km

s25scd
s25scd Posts: 84
Anyone from the sunny north east of scotland done this or planning to do this on the 16th of april. Just recently joined audax uk as a view to looking at doing some long distance miles and hoping to do this if not working. This would be my first Audax event so dont know what to expect. On the website it doesnt give a route etc, do you get the route on the day? as i stay out of aberdeen so would need to arrange a drop off at start point and pick up at finish, if i finish lol. Any info on this event would be much appreciated.

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Anyone who cycles over the Lecht gets a million Hardcore Points. One heck of a climb.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Give me several million hardcore points as I have done it often :lol: . Great climb and VERY hard from the start and it just goes on for ever.

Kudos to all that take it on
    Brian B.
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    I'm doing it. I rode it the last time it was on, a couple of years ago. You'll get a route sheet through the post a few weeks before the event. The route is pretty simple though - out the south Deeside road to Banchory before heading up the north Deeside road to Ballater. Cut across from Ballater to Cock Bridge, up over the Lecth the hard way, turn right at Tomintoul to Dufftown. Out of Dufftown and over the Cabracht to Rhynie and then back roads to Alford before a blast down to Aberdeen. I hope you like hills.
  • s25scd
    Thanks for the info mercurykev, really looking forward to this, ! Hope its a good day on the bike with no wind and rain, well can only hope suppose!
  • s25scd
    mercurykev
    Just as an after thought , how long should i give myself to complete this?, i know it depends on a lot of things, route etc, just looking for a sort of rough/ average time ?

cheers.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    mercurykev wrote:
    I'm doing it. I rode it the last time it was on, a couple of years ago. You'll get a route sheet through the post a few weeks before the event. The route is pretty simple though - out the south Deeside road to Banchory before heading up the north Deeside road to Ballater. Cut across from Ballater to fool Bridge, up over the Lecth the hard way, turn right at Tomintoul to Dufftown. Out of Dufftown and over the Cabracht to Rhynie and then back roads to Alford before a blast down to Aberdeen. I hope you like hills.

I have done a lot of this route on my own and you're right its fairly simple. Sounds a great day and hope all who do it enjoy themselves :lol:
    Brian B.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    mercurykev wrote:
    Cut across from Ballater to fool Bridge,

Ha Ha! Cockbridge, what about Cockburnspath?

Going up the Lecht in snow season in the car was amazing (not so amazing in summer) somehow emphasised just how big a climb it is.

Wish I could believe I could climb it...
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days