Jamaica Road - closed westbound

cyclopsbiker
cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
BBC Travel News is reporting:
A200 London - A200 Jamaica Road / Tanner Street in Bermondsey closed westbound between the B202 Abbey Street junction and the Druid Street junction, because of an accident.

I went past eastbound about 20mins ago; asked a police officer what had happened and he pointed to a bike which didn't look damaged propped against the curb, shook his head and said it wasn't good. there was loads of paramedic stuff laying in the middle of the road, no ambulance. hope whoever is involved is ok.

Comments

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    edited March 2011
    FrankieH wrote:

Another death from a left turning lorry.

Be safe out there

{edit} I should have read the title of the news story - The Skip Lorry was involved
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Firstly, horrible news, thoughts are with the family

it can be a complicated junction

given where the bike is I would expect that

he went through the give way with the lorry a little too close and got caught
    or
    the lorry went past him at the pinch point and was too close
    or
    the cyclist drifted right to tooley street and didn't look

either way yuk.. horrible
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    so saddening to hear things like this, really brings it home when it happens along your route too.

I nearly came a cropper exactly there on my first solo commute in last year. I was going right onto tooley street and a people carrier came from one of those two turnings on the right from behind me just after the lights and assumed I'd follow the road to the left so aimed straight at me, I saw him swerved to the left and which bought me just enough time so that he didn't take out my rear wheel and I got round him. got an earful for my troubles too.

I'm always more alert along there now for turning traffice and try to keep to the right going through the lights so cars pass on my left as they drive round and not behind me.
    Hat + Beard
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    :(
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    R.I.P.

Tragic news.

I had my first experience of going past a serious looking 'rider down' situation last night on my way home from work at about 20:45. 3 police cars, another police car racing off somewhere with it's light blazing, a paramedic car and bike, and a stationary 307 in the middle of the road half way around a mini roundabout. I can only assume that the 307 hit the rider. Rider was motionless in the middle of the road whilst being attended to by the paramedics. Police had closed the road in the opposite direction that I was travelling in. I slowed as I passed but didn't stop as there was already quite a scene and various passers by had stopped. Really got the adrenalin going though. I can't find any news about it today though so hopefully it wasn't too serious.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • RIP. Yes, getting to the cycle and bus lane in Tooley Street means turning right across a lane of traffic that's bearing left. I negotiate it the same way as hatbeard - getting early onto the right hand side.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Crikey...RIIP :(
  • I never use that contraflow down Tooley Street. I don't think it saves any useful amount of time compared with simply following Jamaica Road and, at that point, you have to already be in the correct lane to make the turn off as traffic often races along that bit.
  • The driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and he is remanded in custody.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    RIP :(

Why so many cyclist choose to cycle down that way beggars belief. Having lived in Canada Water for several years, Jamaica Road is a death trap. There are so many safer alternatives around the back routes. Couple more minutes on your commute at best.

I come off the A200 (Lower Road) as soon as and cycle through Southwark Park/Bermondsey. Try it. You might like it. And other road users are much nicer.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    navt wrote:
    RIP :(

Why so many cyclist choose to cycle down that way beggars belief. Having lived in Canada Water for several years, Jamaica Road is a death trap. There are so many safer alternatives around the back routes. Couple more minutes on your commute at best.

I come off the A200 (Lower Road) as soon as and cycle through Southwark Park/Bermondsey. Try it. You might like it. And other road users are much nicer.

Its tough when you start out and don't know an area. I did my old cycle route a few months ago, would not do it again. It takes time to learn and find new routes, its tragic that in this case its ended so badly :cry:
  • RedGT
    RedGT Posts: 238
    Bermondsey/Walworth really is a horrible place to cycle sometimes even the back streets, especially
    Rotherhithe St which car drivers seem to use as a foot to the floor shortcut.
  • hatbeard
    I find jamaica road to be fine now i've ridden it for a few months. even the rotherhithe roundabout isn't that terrible if you're sensible about things and keep a very good eye out for incoming cars.

when traffics busy it's the cyclists who commit the most sins along there by a long shot.
    Hat + Beard
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    The driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and he is remanded in custody.

Wow to remand him in custody and not give bail. This really must dangerous driving.
  • hatbeard
    at that exact spot this morning two cyclists undertook the cab in front of me at those lights when traffic was freely moving and then pulled across to the right.

I am disappoint :(
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard wrote:
    at that exact spot this morning two cyclists undertook the cab in front of me at those lights when traffic was freely moving and then pulled across to the right.

I am disappoint :(

yep, it really isn't worth the few seconds you think yr saving.
  • hatbeard wrote:
    when traffics busy it's the cyclists who commit the most sins along there by a long shot.

+1 ... i've lost count of the number of times i've had a near miss because some idiot is trying to race me along that road ... and will do anything to get round me ... even if it means putting me, them, and car users in danger.
    Fatboyslim
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    hatbeard wrote:

+1 ... i've lost count of the number of times i've had a near miss because some idiot is trying to race me along that road ... and will do anything to get round me ... even if it means putting me, them, and car users in danger.

Tis true. Some chap yesterday brushed my shoulder as he passed me at the lights (it was red going to amber and I was just setting off).

If I was a wobbler I could have easily moved a few inches to my right and we would have both ended up on the floor.

It's only going to get worse as the weather improves, oh well :?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Ugh, horrible horrible horrible :(
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Shit I saw the road closure too on my way home on Tue but until now had not found out why.

Bizarrely that junction is not one I've ever even felt to be remotely dangerous. Those lights are always on red when I get there and I'm normally surrounded by legions of other cyclists when I pass there at c. 08h15. Will certainly triple check tomorrow when I'm back on the bike.