worried about my weight

MikeB18
MikeB18 Posts: 16
edited March 2011 in Health, fitness & training
I have recently started cycling and I am loving every minute of it.

My only worry is my weight, I currently weigh 7.5 stone which is underweight for my height and age (5ft 7 and I am 18 years old). I'm worried that I will be losing it faster than I am putting it on. It is affecting my fitness and I don't want to cause any damage to myself by ignoring it.

Does anyone have any good tips/advice on what I could do to help?

Comments

• WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    Eat more?
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Are you losing weight as well? If so get checked out for Type 1 Diabetes.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    I'm 15, 5"9' and 8st. Welcome to the club.

To be brutally honest; hit the gym and up the training. I've put on a stone since.

But for god sake when you're hungry eat, and eat before you exercise also.

And believe me that lack of weight probably means your a demon on this hills!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm skinny, at 5 foot 11 and 65kg. (10 stone-ish?) but I've just got a fast metabolism, like both my parents, so I eat whenever I'm hungry, enjoy exercise and stay at the same weight. But if you're that skinny and losing weight then maybe see your doctor.

What do you eat and how much? How much exercise are you doing? Do you work (ie, are you doing manual labour all day with nothing more than a bag of crisps)?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jj1048
    jj1048 Posts: 107
    bails87 wrote:
    I'm skinny, at 5 foot 11 and 65kg. (10 stone-ish?) but I've just got a fast metabolism, like both my parents, so I eat whenever I'm hungry, enjoy exercise and stay at the same weight. But if you're that skinny and losing weight then maybe see your doctor.

This was pretty much me until I was about 25, I'm now 37 and 87Kg but still eating & exercising much the same. Must be my metabolism slowing down, hopefully it wont slow down much more!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    If you want to put on weight here's how to do it.

1. Drink a few cans of Guinness at about 10pm.
    2. Eat a big meal with the Guinness.
    3. By about 11pm go to bed and sleep for 8 or more hours.

Within a few weeks you'll be 10 stones and wanting to go on a diet :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • I have no positive words to add as im on the larger side... you lucky little bastard!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    I have no positive words to add as im on the larger side... you lucky little bastard!

:lol:
  • bails87
    matthew h wrote:
    I have no positive words to add as im on the larger side... you lucky little bastard!

:lol:

The grass is always greener! :wink:
    MTB/CX

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No it's not, I'm the same proportions as you Bails and don't want to get heavier!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Diet & gym.

I started cycling a year and a half ago & started at the gym a year ago; combined with a big diet I've gone from 66kg to 76kg whilst covering nearly 10,000 miles on my roadie.

Good core strength work at the gym really transfers when your hard trail riding. If you try this route don't do what most people did at 18 and do nothing but arm work, its not needed.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/ ... g_Strength
  • bails87
    njee20 wrote:
    No it's not, I'm the same proportions as you Bails and don't want to get heavier!

Okay, it's usually greener.... as shown by people calling someone who weighs 7.5 stone and is worried about losing too much weight and the resulting effects on his health (which could be due to an underlying illness) a 'lucky b*stard" :?

7.5 stone is a fair bit lighter than the two of us anyway. As it happens, I wouldn't have thought that doing exercise will cause the OP to lose much, if any, weight, especially as he weighs so little start with. I know if I lost weight I'd be concerned.

The most obvious thing, before we get onto talk of 'bulking up' or whatever at the gym, must be how much he's eating. And what he's eating.

It doesn't have to be pasta, raw eggs and grilled chicken all the time. but as long as it's a sensible, varied diet with fruit and veg as well as a mix of all the other stuff it should be fine. So eat well and eat more. If you then decide you want to try to look like Arnie then go for it. But the most pressing issue is fuelling your body just to keep yourself going.
    MTB/CX

• MikeB18
    MikeB18 Posts: 16
    I am currently unemployed so when I am not out on the bike I am playing drums or out with my mates. On average I would say I eat a fair amount for me, I do eat a lot of fruit and veg, meats, pasta and I have a few snacks during the day such as crisps, chocolate bars, oat bars.
  • bails87
    Hmmm, it might be worth a trip to the doctor's then. It's free at least :wink:

Maybe try having bigger portions. If you put it on your plate you're likely to eat it, if for whatever reason you're unkowingly having tiny portions then you might not be eating as much as you think.
    MTB/CX

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    easy, MTFU! GRR, BEEFCAKE BEEFCAKE! :lol:
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    bails87 wrote:
    Hmmm, it might be worth a trip to the doctor's then. It's free at least :wink:

Maybe try having bigger portions. If you put it on your plate you're likely to eat it, if for whatever reason you're unkowingly having tiny portions then you might not be eating as much as you think.

Well said, a quick trip to the doctors can surprise you. I had the opposite problem, it turned out my thyroid had decided to stop working without telling me! There may be a number of reasons, probably not worth worrying about but worth checking out.
  • bails87

Hehe, I'd kind of like to go to the gym and do some weights stuff, but I just feel like I'd look a bit ridiculous standing next to 'steroid Steve' and co! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• kevsgsi
    kevsgsi Posts: 19
    bails87 wrote:

Hehe, I'd kind of like to go to the gym and do some weights stuff, but I just feel like I'd look a bit ridiculous standing next to 'steroid Steve' and co! :lol:
    We all have to start somewhere tho
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You don't want to overdo it though. Sometimes on long arduous climbs, I wish I hadn't taken up rugby and weightlifting in my teens, and was a svelte 10 or 11 stone :lol:
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    Would you be able to find your body fat percentage? That would be a better gauge for any cause of concern.