Flanders feed stations

georgee
georgee Posts: 537
Any thoughts here?

I need figure what to pack, are they busy, is there decent grub on offer or do I pack for 267km worth of nutrition?

Comments

• They are busy but normally have a good range of food like fruit, waffles and cakes. The energy drinks can taste (and look) like mouth wash so I've always had my own powder and just added water. I'd recommend having enough of your own bars and gels to get you round and then only supplement with local food. Remember, you can leave a bag at the start which will be waiting for you at the 152km feed stop.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    They've got more food and energy drink that 10x the number of riders on the event would need. mmmmm waffles, biscuits, cake, oranges, bananas, soya milk... god I so wish I was gonna be there this year. Be sure to fill your pockets at each one too, you'll need it.

Some folk also set up roadside 'shops' where you can buy coke, sandwiches etc. Fear not.

Good chip wagons at the finish too. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • I'm sooooo jealous. I could really cry

And to cap it all my rider number arrived the other day :cry::cry::cry:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    the waffles are incredible - they come in individual cellophane wrappers so you have pocket tons. the local ladies who man the feeds (lovely pun eh?) are golden, really encouraging and friendly and like your mates' moms, they don't let you leave empty-handed. So please smile lots at them and say "denk you vell" (phoentics there).

at the last feed I took 3/4 extra waffles to enjoy at the end in the tent as i tried to get warm after the sudden downpours.

i really hope this good weather keeps up next weekend.

Who's doing the long one? I was opting for the 140 but got talked into the full whack.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Very jealous of you all: I did it last year and want to again.

Feed stations were very well-stocked. I liked the drink they had (Isostar i think), even though all the tips say never try a new energy drink on "the big day", but it agreed with me just fine. Waffles and spongy peperkoek-type stuff were like rocket fuel.

There was a huge queue at the station at the bottom of the Taaienberg; conversely the earlier one in Oudenaarde had no queue, but obviously the locations will vary from year to year.

Also there was a Red Bull station in Parike, between Brakel and Geraardsbergen, and the little Red Bull shots are like magic when there's 20k left to go.

Good luck to all of you who're going; hope you have a great time.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Was the Taaienberg the place where the whole road was funnelled down between the tables with everyone walking for about 10 mins to cover the last 200 meters?

I remember it well but cannot remember the spot. I was all livid at first but then I calmed down and enjoyed chatting with the riders around me and the smiley ladies at the control and giving out the food.

Before that I was tending to ride too fast and the fun atmoshpere of that packed rest stop brought me back down to earth. Plus, it was a really sunny part of the day too so was enjoyable. The heavens would open up again later...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    That was it; next to some big grain silo-things.
    kop van de wedstrijd