Bikeradar Randonneurs?

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
Following a discussion on another forum, I was wondering if there are any other BRians who partake of the long distance cycling. I know that there are folk from other forums who'll post here to suggest / promote audax rides, but are there any others who post only or mainly on BR?

As far as I can tell, I'm the only one who has aspirations in the challenge of long distance cycling on BR. I find that hard to believe, possible, but hard to believe. Has everyone who does audax gravitated to yACF for their audaxing exploits?

Just curious.
A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I am new to the area of cycling, but I post predomanatly on here.

I've done three 100k's and one 200k, planning on a 300k in June (I think it is....)
  • Crapaud
    Thanks for responding, danowat, I can now delete the bookmark I'd looked out of a pic of tumbleweed.

I had a quick shifty around the various forums and thete's a bit more audaxing going on than I'd realised. Strangely there was some over in commuting - clearly I'm looking in the wrong places. :roll:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • dead sheep
    dead sheep Posts: 109
    I have gradually converted towards audaxes in the past two to three years after becoming increasingly disillusioned with over-rated and over priced sportive events, plus a naked ambition to ride more challenging events.

I mainly post on Bikerader although I do take the occasional peek at YACF. In recent months I have noticed more and more messages on this board refering to audaxes. This is probably an indication of more people seeing the light!
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Yep, crapaud, I'm still lurking around on here. Haven't managed to do any audaxes this year (just moved house) but did a few last year.

Plan is to man up and do the snow roads next year... honestly...
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Don't post as much as I used to but I've been a very occasional audaxer for the last couple of years but now aiming for a 'Super Randonneur' series of rides (200k, 300K, 400k, and 600k ridden all in the same year/season).
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I am doing about 2 audaxes a month at the mo but only the shorter distances (100k), probably up my mileage on these at some point but enjoy the 100k too much at the mo. Started looking at the YACF forum but most of that is too hardcore for me so I mainly just pick events from the auk website.
  • mercurykev
    mercurykev Posts: 264
    I'm a 3 x SR who rides about 20 audax (not sure of the plural) a season. I must admit that I tend to use yacf for audax purposes.
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Cyclechat forums also have a fair Scottish contingent... If you're on facebook a few of us have a facebook group to promote rides. PM me if you want an invite.
  • Crapaud
    Hmmm ... interesting. I didn't expect a big response when I made the OP, then, when I'd had a look about, I thought it'd have been better.

I wasn't really sure where I was going with this thread. Although I'm registered over by, I consider BR my spiritual cycling cyber-home and rarely post there. More so, I expect, because I'm not doing much cycling, never mind audaxes, ATM.

Dead Sheep, it's the more personal challenge of audaxes that attracts me to distance cycling; the idea of pushing myself a bit further, then another bit, to see what my limitations are. I like the ethos of self sufficiency as well, and the fact that there's no profit motive. By cyclists, for cyclists, so to speak.

Bobbinogs, if you're anything like me, 100kms will soon become mundane and 200s will start to sing their siren song.

Mercurykev, you're a shameless show off. :wink:

Graham G, Danowat, let us know how you find the step up to 300kms. The furtherest I've cycled is 200 and 3 seems like quite a leap.

Mighty W, the Snow Roads has been on my list for a while now. I now consider it a challenge. I'll do it next year if you do it. If either of us fails to show they have to spend 5 mins in the ring with Tyson (or £5 to charity). Deal?

I had a look at the calendar the other day. I think the Potter for Tea (100km) will be my first ride this year.