Long or ankle socks?

macleod113
macleod113 Posts: 560
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

sorry if this has previously been covered but i was curious.
Far from being vain i do feel a bit silly wearing long socks when on the roads. I have always worn ankle socks when not in tights.

is there a reason (keeping your ankles warm?) that the longer variety are used other than for sponsors logo's?

thanks for your input in advance :)
Cube Cross 2016
Willier GTR 2014

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,805
    I'm all for ankle socks.

They look MUCH better on the bike.
  • I'm all for ankle socks.

They look MUCH better on the bike.

I think they look better on your feet to be honest..... :P

I prefer ankle socks so I don't have a tan line half way up my leg.
  • Ankle socks are the norm and in the pro peleton I can only think of Lance who seemed to pull his hosiery further up his legs :!:
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    samartin26 wrote:
    in the pro peloton I can only think of Lance who seemed to pull his hosiery further up his legs :!:

Wiggins too :shock: Ankle socks ftw
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Plus fours and wooly knee length socks, Viyella shirt, tweed jacket and brown brogue shoes with SPD cleats bolted to them :wink:
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Plus fours and wooly knee length socks, Viyella shirt, tweed jacket and brown brogue shoes with SPD cleats bolted to them

Now thats what i'm talking about!!! :D
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    samartin26 wrote:
    Ankle socks are the norm and in the pro peloton I can only think of Lance who seemed to pull his hosiery further up his legs :!:

I have low socks (only just above the shoe line)

In the pro peloton just about everyone seems to have socks over the ankle bone. it's the one thing I don't understand.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,907
    In the pro peloton just about everyone seems to have socks over the ankle bone. it's the one thing I don't understand.
    I don't understand the theory of relativity.
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506

it's Chinese writing for me :D only ever wear trainer socks with cycling shorts personally, the sort which can only just be seen above the shoe line
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Think everyone is missing the point here....

The OP wants to know WHY some people wear odd looking long socks, not what you wear!

Lance must know he looks daft in them?!
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    It's rumoured that while filming "American Flyers", Kevin Costner insisted on wearing long socks as he felt they made his calves look bigger. Therefore, the only conclusion has to be - ankle socks FTW.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Eurocyclst rule :

3. The Socks must extend no less than 2cm below the main bulge of your calf muscle, and shall never extend further than 1cm past the primary calf muscle bulge. All socks shall be white in colour with prominent logo placement.
  • nakita222
    nakita222 Posts: 341
    On the subject of socks. I wear socks which come up about an inch beneath the start of my calf muscle. These socks are always white. The only problem is that they are not capoforma. shame I'm so slow :(

http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2009/11/ ... dress-pro/
    this is how socks should look
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Depend what you mean by long...

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/JPooKnUR ... +Cavendish

Cav's are long compared to what I normally wear and would keep your ankles warm.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • I don't have calf muscles! :(
  • c0ugars
    c0ugars Posts: 202
    Carl_P wrote:
    Depend what you mean by long...

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/JPooKnUR ... +Cavendish

Cav's are long compared to what I normally wear and would keep your ankles warm.

Cav normally wears ankle socks, or he did for the most of last season.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    Ah, that 'new' 'fad' of long socks.

Usher-Silver-Tankard-Rab-Dewar-or-GIlbert-Taylor-200x209.jpg

I suppose, relative to the entire history of mankind, it is pretty new...
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    It's probably because trainer socks are mostly worn by girls. I'm not sure I've ever seen a man wearing them.

Not too long, not too short. Moderation in all things.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,062
    Long black socks for me all the way, shows my true colours :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Cygnus
    Cygnus Posts: 1,879
    I use ankle socks to stay cool.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,470
    You just have to remember that the length of socks is actually a constant and so always the same. It's just that people who pedal faster appear to have longer socks from the point of view of an external observer.