budget external bb

stevie coles
stevie coles Posts: 37
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
hi all im lookin to upgrade the chainset on my trek 1.2.
its not an expensive bike so i dont wanna go mad on it.
would like a nice external bb and chainset thou.
anyone any ideas?.
also is there much difference between the 1 & 2 series trek frames quality wise?.
i guess the 2s are more race orientated, but how about weight comfort etc?.
im very happy wi my 1.2, i guess i jus wanna get a handle on the level of quality its worth attatching to the frame.
is it worthy of 105 for example?.
cheers me dears!!. :shock:

Comments

• Have you upgraded your wheels yet?

This will make your bike a better bike rather than upgrading chainsets
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    budget?

'not going mad' could be £150 or could be £50, depending on your generally undercurrent of prevailing madness.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • was gonna do wheels after chainset, was thinking bonty ssr, or cheapest mavics/shimano.
    budget will be less than 80.00 for chainset, less than 120.00 for wheels.
  • Roll together and spend £200 on wheels.
    Willmake it much faster more comfortable and handle better.

Chainset is really about looks
  • im not so sure about that. i went from square taper to deore hollowtech on my mtb, and could def tell a difference in flex between the two.
    i also agree with your wheels advice aswell thou!.
    do you think a basic trek ali frame is worth a 200quid set o wheels thou?.
  • I got a SRAM Apex for £72 from Evans, price-match is your friend, especially if they forget to include the postage on the matched item.
    Look 566
    Dolan Hercules
    Genesis Flyer
    Sintesi 707
    Genesis Aether
    Charge Plug
  • yeah the apex is one im thinking about, also tiagra and maybe s/h 105 if i can find a lightly used one.
    you like the apex?.
    does it work well wi shimano mechs?.
  • im not so sure about that. i went from square taper to deore hollowtech on my mtb, and could def tell a difference in flex between the two.
    i also agree with your wheels advice aswell thou!.
    do you think a basic trek ali frame is worth a 200quid set o wheels thou?.

Square taper was superceeded for manufacturing cost reasons ONLY you cannot bend a solid steel axle It was less expensive to assemble bikes with external cups rather than square taper. When all the externals arrived the road world's were won by Boonen on a square taper chainset so I don't think we need to worry about stiffness.

Yes a 1 series frame is worthy of a wheel upgrade and quality wheels have a RRP of about £200. It is an entry level race bike and you can WIN any category race in the UK riding one