Another Wales thread - Anglesey as a base

DodgeT
DodgeT Posts: 2,255
edited March 2011 in Routes
Hopefully spending a few days in Red Wharf Bay next month, and would like to get a bit of biking in at the same time.

Done Coed y brenin, penmachno, which would of probably been on the list.

Are there any other good rides closer too, say within an hours drive? Any on Anglesey?

Wouldnt mind getting the map out and doing some none trail centre rides too if there's any areas that can be recommended.

TIA :D

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    marin trail and penmachno are within an hours drive of anglesy (not sure if you were saying if you've done penmachno or not)

Yeehaa macgee might be the best person to ask as he lives in bangor (just over the bridge)
  • DodgeT
    yes done penmachno. Marin doesnt seem to get any good press on here, but may be worth a look, specially as my sis may be coming too.
    Thanks anyway, and hopefully yeehaa will pop along to give some options too :)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    DodgeT wrote:
    yes done penmachno. Marin doesnt seem to get any good press on here, but may be worth a look, specially as my sis may be coming too.
    Thanks anyway, and hopefully yeehaa will pop along to give some options too :)

i've been one of the one's to knock it TBH, it's not the best trail i've ever ridden and there is a lot of climbing, but if i was passing i'd ride it again :D

but yeah, wait for someone with more local experience, if you were down south i'd be more help :lol:
  • RallyBiker
    RallyBiker Posts: 378
    DodgeT

Your best bet is to get onto the MBNW website for some local N.Wales rides. Get signed up for your hol rides!
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    yer here.

http://www.mbnw.co.uk/routes.html

on anglesey, its pretty flat: holyhead mountain is tiny. there is parys mountain but you need to watch out for the lake of acid, bottomless pits and toxic dust clouds.

i've marked out a chilled route round part of the llyn i'm going to do with the family when i'm there in june, it follows a route called "lon goed" linked to form a loop with various bridleways and country lanes, more of a sunday afternoon, stopping at a few pubs rather than a adreniline fix but you say you're on holiday so.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hello!
    There's nothing much on Anglesey itself, but there are some beautiful coastal paths in the forest on Newborough beach (which is an absolutely stunning beach), if you just fancy a nice ride in the countryside.
    Also in the same forest, if you look to the sides or the trails, there are a few little drops and jumps scattered around, just a few things to play on, and it's apparent that some mountain bikers/MotoX riders have been messing about there.
    I reckon Parys Mountain might be worth a look if you're into your freeriding, I've been for a walk around it and it looks like there's some interesting drops and lines, but I've not got round to trying it on the bike yet.

There's a few nice walks along the cliff-edge of Holyhead mountain (again I haven't tried these on a bike), but they would be immensely technical in places.
    Then there's the Anglesey coastal path, or something like that, which I think goes round pretty much the entire island.

Once you come onto the mainland, there's sh*t river singletrack in Bangor, but I haven't been there for about 4 years so I have no idea what state that's in by now. It's some little trails just off the footpath behind Penrhyn Castle. They're not long, but are good fun.
    The mountains around Llanberis, Bethesda and Capel Curigare full of trails, and provided you avoid the main Snowdon paths, you'll get little or no grief off walkers, as long as you're polite, and accept that you're not really meant to be there.
    Maps for these are available in most outdoors shops.
    Or you could just pick a mountain, and go up it, then find a way back down. There's so much insane terrain around that you'd have to be unlucky to not find something interesting!
    If you're after waymarked routes, then Coed y Brenin is the daddy. It's about 50 minutes from Bangor.
    And of course, the best waymarked trail in the country, Penmachno.

If you're prepared to hike and bike, then you can explore anything that vaguely looks like a mountain, there's tons of stuff to try out!
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Hello!
    Or you could just pick a mountain, and go up it, then find a way back down. There's so much insane terrain around that you'd have to be unlucky to not find something interesting!

Completely agree, most of wales is mountain bike mecca whether natural or man made trail. Personally I'd love a crack at Snowdon. Equally the angelsey coastal walk looks like it would be a good ride. Walked a lot of it over the years but never ridden.
  • DodgeT
    Cheers for the input so far fellas, all is noted :D
  • Anonymous
    Oh, by the way, don't bother asking anyone where "sh*t river singletrack" is, I think that's just a name that a small crowd of us christened it with :lol:
    (I keep forgetting that though!)
  • DodgeT
    I can imagine i'd get some funny looks if i did :)
  • chris.d.w
    chris.d.w Posts: 43
    The shit river you're referring to is called the Afon Cegin. Short but pretty fun trails. quite rooty, not so great in the wet i'd imagine :)
  • Anonymous
    It gets very wet in the, er, wet. Hence the daft name, its just a track of slimy rooty mud!