Rear hub honking!?

nickphillipps
nickphillipps Posts: 15
edited March 2011 in Workshop
Hi all, i've had a search around on the froum and cant seem to find anything that fits my issue.

I've got a trek 1.2 which i've probably only doen about 250miles on. A while ago i hit a bit of a pot hole at speed, which gave me a flat and sent my wheel out of true (is that how you say it?) i've replaced the inner tube and got my lbs to sort out the rim.

But now when i spin the wheel whilst its in the air or if i pedal it there a strange honking sound coming from it. The wheel seems to spin smoothly but just with this mental sound coming from it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• is the hub shaft itself buckled ?

ive seen true wheels before but with buckled hubs, this could be the iusse.

pop the bike upside down, place in a high gear, spin the rear wheel pretty fast then let freewheel. you'll then see if the hub is buckled as it will spin the cassette oddly slightly pulling on the chain with every revolution.

ive seen spesh alexrims look like this brand new and make the so called honking sound.
    2012 Giant Defy Composite 1
    2010 Kenisis Racelight T2 (Single Speed)
    2010 Specialized Sirrus
    2010 Giant Talon 0
    2010 Orbea Aqua TTG
  • Oh really? I'll have to take a look at that when i get home then. Im guessing that would mean i need a new hub?

Would that come under the warranty or would it be classed as wear and tear. As its less then a year old and it was probably only the 4/5 time ive been out on it.
  • Well use got home. The honking seems to be a little less "honky".

Looked at the hub and that wasn't noticeably bent.

I've got a taken a video so you can hear the actual sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lA_t3dXk0I

Cheers in advance for any help, and cheers for the suggestion steve
  • pingpong
    pingpong Posts: 97
    Sounds a little like brake rub, did you almost drop your camera? WHOOPS :shock:
  • I think I've discovered the cause. It's coming from the seal. Should the seal be spinning with the wheel or not?

Would a bit of grease sort it out you reckon??
  • :lol:

odd that one... the honking ive heard before is more bassy and resinates through the whole wheel... it does seem to make more of a tyre rubbing sound to me...

its quite a comical sound too. :lol: - I can see why you'd be embarrased to ride it like that.

its definately the hub though, otherwise it would be audible earlier on in the video, its only doing it at a certian RPM.

the wheel doesnt spin very freely, perhaps try slackening the cones off a little.
    2010 Specialized Sirrus
    2010 Giant Talon 0
    2010 Orbea Aqua TTG
  • ok ill try loosening the cone. I only say its the seal as if i touch the seal whilst its honking at me the honking immediately stops.

Could that be due to the cone being too tight?

Also by seal i mean the little rubber "cone" shape thing.

As you've probably realised im new to all this.

cheers guys
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    My rear hub has been honking for ages. In fact so is the rest of the bike, I hardly ever clean it :lol:
  • pop some grease in behind the dust seals first then 8) see if that sorts it.
    2010 Specialized Sirrus
    2010 Giant Talon 0
    2010 Orbea Aqua TTG