How far it too far? Upgrade wise anyways:P

AKirkland
AKirkland Posts: 3
edited March 2011 in MTB general
I have a beautiful Giant Talon 0 (bought around a week ago) and its fantastic, but just wondering how far would be too far when I get down and dirty uprgrading it? I was thinking about kitting it with Shimano Saint groupset and brakes, with Rockshoxx Revelation XX forks, plus add some Halo SAS wheels, Spindoctor hubs and some decent tyres...

Whats peoples views?

Also, whats peoples views on the Talon 0? Worth the money? Whats the bet kit to put on it?

Sorry about the lots and lots of questions:P

Comments

• Why would you want to completely upgrade every part on a bike you literally just bought? Should have spent the money on a more expensive bike then.

For that bike, I think Saint Groupsets would be way too much, as well as revelations. That is a bike with 100mm xc style geometry. Buy a bike more suited to purpose.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    What he said.... Aren't Rev XX 150mm forks ie. totally unsuitable for a 100mm bike? Saint is a heavy duty freeride groupset and therefore unsuitable on a 100mm XC bike.

Tyres may well be an area you can get some real improvement, depending on what you've got on there already.

Just ride it, enjoy it and replace stuff when it breaks,
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Far be it from me to tell you what to do with your bike but Saint + Revs + Halo wheels will turn your pefectly OK Talon into a right dog's breakfast.

Make it more XC or trail but stay away from the freeride/jump/dh kit it only works on freeride/jump/dh bikes.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Upgrading a bike substantially when it's new doesn't make much sense usually. Sticking those parts on that bike is just ridiculous though, all wrong.

Things that can make sense to upgrade immediately- contact points, ie grips, pedals saddle, bars and stem, tyres. These are all a matter of taste so even the best bike in the world might want a tweak in those. If there's any glaring shortcomings, it can make sense to patch that too. But spending a lot is just admitting you've got the wrong bike, and if you do, then you should be saving and planning to replace it not trying to make it into something it's not.

That said there's nothing wrong with the Talon, it just really doesn't suit those parts at all. I wouldn't put Saint on my 160mm full suss never mind my XC bike! Never ridden that model but there's nothing glaringly wrong with it, doesn't look brilliant value but it's all parts that work. Tyres the weakest link... Kenda's nevegal DTC is a good back tyre, not a very good front tyre. And that bike might come with the horrible OEM spec wire bead version too. The brakes are functional and absolutely fine
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Fair enough, thats for your advice, can see what your all saying, I'll probably leave the bike as it is for now then and replace thing when they become too worn, which shouldnt be for a long time tbh.

I'll stick to XC kit on it:) its a nice bike and works well, so agreed, no point ruining it.

Thanks guys, much appreciated
  • phal44
    phal44 Posts: 240
    Well my bike was £370 new and I just spent that much on new wheels :D hehe

Over the last year or two I have spent quite alot on new forks and new groupset and other smaller bits etc. The only original parts left now are handlebars, stem+headset and the seatpost hehe :)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I would put saint stuff on my 160mm

but what the others guys said, if your already planning massive upgrades you didn't spend enough of your budget on the bike.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I would put saint stuff on my 160mm

but what the others guys said, if your already planning massive upgrades you didn't spend enough of your budget on the bike.