Specialized Sirrus, anyone?

michaelcrowe
michaelcrowe Posts: 22
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I have been on the search for a hybrid bike for around £350 and after lots of research and a visit to my LBS, I have come up with the Specialized Sirrus (base model). I haven't actually ridden it yet, but it seems really light etc. Anyone had expeience with these bikes? What do you think?

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBC ... %2FFitness

Comments

• Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    I took one for a test ride a year or two ago, it was quite nice actually, but that's moot if it's not comfortable for you, take one for a spin. It depends on your use, I opted for a bike with drops instead but you could do far worse for a commuter bike.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    They are a good commuter and I recommend them (I've had two), although the last one I had was a few notches up from the basic model.

Do take one for a test ride before you buy though as you need to be sure that it suits you and buying just on looks/price/spec is not the best way to get a comfortable ride.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carrera Gryphon is worth a look,£300 would get you the disc model, not as stylish (styled perhaps) as the Sirrus but a good solid bike.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65534#dtab

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I would personally avoid the discs for a commute. More weight and something else to maintain whereas rubber pads are cheap and need no skill to adjust.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mechanical discs are as easy to maintain as rim brakes (in fact easier in my opinion), they do weigh a little more though, yes. Many like the fact you have good instant braking in the wet rather than having to wait about 6 feet (one wheel rotation) until you get to a now dry bit of rim.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    ....rather than having to wait about 6 feet (one wheel rotation) until you get to a now dry bit of rim.

Simon

adds to the adrenalin rush
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I have one, albeit a slightly higher spec.

I like it but the stock wheels were cheap and the spokes pulled through the rim on the rear after 18months and 3,000 miles and the front wheel failed shortly after; I've also met 2 other people with same model and same problem. Also had problems with Seat Post and Saddle which both got replaced 2 years in. Since putting new wheels, seat post and saddle on though it's been fine. Although I now wish I brought a drop bar bike. N+1 for me.

In short nice bikes, great comfort (note they have a short top tube so try next size up if you think you are too upright), and for novice commuting the upright position is great. But I think there are better bikes for the money so shop around and my expeirence has put me off Specialized Bikes and Alex Rims.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I'd definitely go for discs versus rim brakes, having had rims be worn out in less than half the distance it takes me to wear out tyres.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    The above mentioned Carrera Gryphon looks like a better option at £50 cheaper. Discs are ideal for a commute.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Thanks for the advice. I've just found this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... elID=44382

the Cube Hyde Comp (2010). It's £30 more than the sirrus, but looks pretty good. What do you think?
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Thanks for the advice. I've just found this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mobi ... elID=44382

the Cube Hyde Comp (2010). It's £30 more than the sirrus, but looks pretty good. What do you think?

Completely different style again. I'd still go for the Carrera.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Ok, thanks. I'd probably change the pedals straight away on the gryphon, i don't really like clips. I presume this is easy to do?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Ok, thanks. I'd probably change the pedals straight away on the gryphon, i don't really like clips. I presume this is easy to do?

Yep. Easy. Depending on the pedals you might need a pedal spanner or a large-ish allen key. Two tips: use plenty of Copper-slip on the new pedals, and shift the chain into the big ring before you start.
    Edit: The third of my two tips: The left-hand pedal is a left-hand thread.

See http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/pedal-installation-and-removal-pw-3-pw-4-pw-5-hcw-16 for the complete guide.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.