cars not overtaking

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Sometimes cars sit patiently behind, I usually try and up my speed a little, so they're not going too slowly.

On Saturday I came out of RHS Wisley and had a car sat behind for 2 miles, a very slight uphill gradient and my son (30kg) on the back of the bike, so it was hard work, was doing 16-19mph, so still quite slow relative to the 40mph speed limit. I was riding near the left of the road, but it was fairly narrow (wide enough for two cars to pass however) and windy.

He overtook as soon as we got off the rather narrow lane and onto the main road.

Here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 8&t=h&z=15

Any thoughts?

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    he didn't want to spook you at all, was being very considerate and regardless of it weirding you out should be commended for his safe driving?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I see a lot of cars which, in effect, are being driven by the car behind them. I mean that they don't drive as they would completely on their own but they drive with the speed of the car behind - and the impatience of the driver behind - on their mind. In that kind of situation, the car in front will typically use ASLs as unofficial deceleration zones because the car behind is just a little bit too close - what they're doing ends up being determined by a preoccupation with the traffic behind.

On an open road with an uphill gradient and your son on the back, I don't see how a bike can compete with a car. I'd say, accept (and be glad) that there's a patient or cautious driver behind you unless it's beginning to bug you or push you into changing your style of riding - so that you too are in some sense being driven by the car behind you. If it's beginning to bother you, wave them on before you end up riding differently, and if they don't overtake then, and you can't establish ''fellow traveller'' eye contact, consider pulling over. Nobody's racing and nobody seems to be worried about getting from A to B in the shortest time. If you pull over, they'll go past and you won't have them bugging you because they're on your tail.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Good driver! In that situation I'd always be sure to turn round and give a quick smile/'thanks wave' to the driver.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Probably best with hindsight to have pulled over, or at least wave the car past - making it clear that you really would like the it to pass. I get a lot of this on my rural commute, cars that won't pass. Damn annoying sometimes.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    CiB wrote:
    Probably best with hindsight to have pulled over, or at least wave the car past - making it clear that you really would like the it to pass. I get a lot of this on my rural commute, cars that won't pass. Damn annoying sometimes.

+1

But I'd rather be puzzled and mildly irritated by a bit of a nervous ovetaker than cured of constipation by some knob in a van leaving a layer of paint on my arm
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    bails87 wrote:
    Good driver! In that situation I'd always be sure to turn round and give a quick smile/'thanks wave' to the driver.

+1. Tend to give em a thumbs up in the air as you hear them starting to pass, often precipitates a 'no problem' flash of the rear indicators when they've passed.
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • Bloody drafting fairies.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Last time that happened to me it was 2 MILFs that were obviously enjoying the view.

Smiles and a thumbs up when they eventually did pass. Made my week!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    The weekend before last while on a sportive three of us came across a parked car blocking the narrow lane, no bother we all just hooped onto the grass verge and carried on, almost immediately the driver followed, fair enough we were all shifting at the time and to be honest there was very little chance the car could have safely driven faster, we get to the main road and sure enough the driver pulls beside me and complains that we should have moved out of her way sooner :shock:

Right! so where would we have gone, up in the air? :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    This is all the complete opposite of the driver behind me on the New North Rd in London last night. I was positioned in primary because all traffic was slow moving and not going anywhere but he insisted in honking at me to let him past. Eventually he shoved past at a pinch point only to have to slam the brakes on because the vehicle in front of me was slowing. I had to slam my brakes on too, then simply filtered straight past him. Utterly, utterly pointless driving....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • itboffin
    Yesterday once again a little car overtakes me in the fire road out in the back of beyond then pulls off down a driveway 100 yards ahead, I mean really WTF! they clearly knew where they we heading and how far / long they'd have to wait behind me.

There seems to be a fair amount of unmarked lanes around these parts, I'd say unsuitable for all but the most rugged 4x4s yet it doesn't seem to stop people hacking down them in any old thing other than 4x4s.

I'm just waiting for the day when one of these collects me head on :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    The thing that annoys me most; is people who have no idea about the size of their car....i.e. they don't go through gaps that a jumbo jet could land in! Yet, they don't leave enough space for you to blat by them, they creep through the gap slowly....very slowly...

Been stuck behind some muppet in his Brand new Audi this morning who was a gap fairy, sadly it was on the only downhill section of my ride - ruined my morning.....git!
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I have deliberately not overtaken when I could have because I had an idiot in the car behind me. The gap might have been long enough for me to make it safely past but certainly not for two cars and having seen how the following car was driving I just knew they wouldn't have waited. Therefore better for me to wait a bit longer and find a gap for the both of us. Sad when you feel you have to make decisions on others behalves.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    edited March 2011
    on that road I'd not slide past on a car either unless the bike was near zero speed. I'd over take so that means waiting for a gap.

bikes do sometimes do very odd things partially ones with tag alongs and such.

so giving a margin of error is best after all we are talking more than paint work! if it goes wrong.

And as the overtaker it's my reasonability to do it, my pet hate is people trying to wave me on though blind corners and so on.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Bloody drafting fairies.

:D:D

you own me a new keyboard!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The more I think about this, the more I think "ah good, an observant and patient driver". I'd bet that he/she was aware of the kid on the bike, knew that they wouldn't save much time and decided not to take the risk of injuring your child, you or themselves by overtaking.

Well done again, seriously.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    If I'm driving, I'll often sit behind a cyclist until I think it's safe to pass. It's what you should do isn't it? :? I know what it's like when some numpty tries to pass and either passes too close or overtakes to get to the stationary traffic earlier. It just aint werf it.

If someone does the same for me I'll give them a thumbs up or wave as the pass.

I had one cyclist call me a wanchor for leaving a safe gap behind him and not overtaking him the instant the lights went green. If he had give me some sort of indication he was going to go left and not go straight as I though he was, it might have been clearer. :roll:

I did have a comedy moment once, I was giving a cyclist room and some impatient blacked out Golf behind me though he could overtake to get one car ahead and arrive at the bus blocking the lane (or over take it)be fore we did. He got alongside me and only then noticed the fcuk off big red bus coming towards him (on other side of the road) and a cyclist in the gap he wanted to take. I might have shortened the gap ahead a bit and left him out to dry :twisted: Meanwhile the gap he'd left had been taken and he was now playing chicken with a bus that showed no sign of giving way until they were bumper to bumper.
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    If there's genuinely not enough space for the car to overtake then it's not so hard to pull over and let them through.

If the road is wide enough to overtake but the driver is still too timid then I don't mind holding that one person up and will thank them for their consideration. If the traffic starts backing up behind them though then it's got to be worth waving them through to show you're comfortable with it. There's nothing to gain by annoying a load of people who have places to be.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    In this situation I'd be grateful to the driver but try and encourage them to pass when it was safe. Sometimes it's consideration, sometimes it's indecision in which case there's a possibility of a rash decision being made and a worse outcome. Better to try and influence the driver to do the right thing and thank them.

I'd always check if its a lone vehicle or the head of a queue, people drive like sheep and if one person goes, everyone else will follow so make sure that's taken into consideration.
  • itboffin
    I stopped the car behind me this morning to let a "frog" cross the road - yep I have that kind of time on my hands :lol:

Driver of said car also thanked me once the frog had passed, many were not so lucky :lol:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Did you get a croak of thanks from the frog? To be honest it had more to thank you for than the car driver :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jomoj
    I forgot its randy frog season. Encountered a mass frog road crossing a few years ago and spent a good hour trying encourage / cajole the buggers to get to safety. Not got the best road sense, yer amphibian.
  • Headhuunter
    Not sure about frogs but I saw a MASSIVE earthworm crossing a path at my local park last week, it must have been a good 15-20cm long and was working it's way across the path like a snake. No idea why it decided to take the tarmac route rather than burrow underneath...
  • snooks
    itboffin wrote:
    I stopped the car behind me this morning to let a "frog" cross the road - yep I have that kind of time on my hands :lol:

Driver of said car also thanked me once the frog had passed, many were not so lucky :lol:

Are we talking amphibian or bloke in a beret with a fondness for cheese and wine? :D
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • snooks
    jomoj wrote:
    I forgot its randy frog season. Encountered a mass frog road crossing a few years ago and spent a good hour trying encourage / cajole the buggers to get to safety. Not got the best road sense, yer amphibian.

I once slowed down for a squirrel that was running towards me, poor little critter jumped from the pavement onto the road and bump bump, ran straight under my wheel in a fraction of a second. : :shock:

Stopped and went back to see if it was all right, or if I could do anything, it was lying in the middle of the road looking back at me, still breathing, while I was waiting for a break in the traffic to work out what to do, it got proper squished by a car.... :cry::cry:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    snooks wrote:
    jomoj wrote:

I once slowed down for a squirrel that was running towards me, poor little critter jumped from the pavement onto the road and bump bump, ran straight under my wheel in a fraction of a second. : :shock:

Stopped and went back to see if it was all right, or if I could do anything, it was lying in the middle of the road looking back at me, still breathing, while I was waiting for a break in the traffic to work out what to do, it got proper squished by a car.... :cry::cry:

They are suicidal!

One jumped, and i mean jumped, into my spokes waaay back and just kinda 'twanged' off. Have to say I never bothered to stop!
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,396
    Not sure about frogs but I saw a MASSIVE earthworm crossing a path at my local park last week, it must have been a good 15-20cm long and was working it's way across the path like a snake. No idea why it decided to take the tarmac route rather than burrow underneath...

Coz under the tarmac will be 6" of sub-base, then another 6-8" of compacted hardcore on top of compacted subsoil - they can't tunnel through that lot and they don't go much deeper than the top 12" of soil. Or it may have just been dropped by a bird.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    rjsterry wrote:

Coz under the tarmac will be 6" of sub-base, then another 6-8" of compacted hardcore on top of compacted subsoil - they can't tunnel through that lot and they don't go much deeper than the top 12" of soil. Or it may have just been dropped by a bird.

Poor earthworms, had no idea that pathways and roads effectively cut them off!
  • jomoj
    Seeing as it's animal slaughter confession time, I would like to own up to running over a partridge whilst mountainbiking. Unlucky bird was destined to be shot at and chewed by a dog but it ran out of some heather straight into my front wheel. SMIDSY...

I also stunned a vole with a beercan once but that's a different story.
  • Headhuunter
    jomoj wrote:
    Seeing as it's animal slaughter confession time, I would like to own up to running over a partridge whilst mountainbiking. Unlucky bird was destined to be shot at and chewed by a dog but it ran out of some heather straight into my front wheel. SMIDSY...

I also stunned a vole with a beercan once but that's a different story.

I hope you took the Partridge home and roasted it? Better yet you should have run over another and gone for the brace.