Schwalbe Ultremos R1's or something similar?

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi people,

As we are coming to the end of the worst of the weather I managed to dig out the Summer bike over the weekend and get some mileage on it ( 165km over 2 days is South Wales Sunshine 8) )

Anyhow I'm looking to get a nice pair of wheels and tyre combination going on and wondered what the general feeling was regarding the SChwalbe Ultremos R1's

I hear they are pretty good with respect to weight, rolling resistance colour options and have a puncture protection layer - is this so?

Also you can get them for about £45 the pair which seems to be a good thing.

I'm guessing that they are not the only options out there but I really don't like contis - purely from the asthetics of having orange writing all over them which ruins any colour scheme that I'm trying to create - but I don't really know about the others.

Anyone got an opinion if I'm on the right or wrong track with the R1's?

Thanks,

Dru

Comments

  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I have gone for the ZX's this year and have no complaints at all.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    Never tried either yet, was recommended the R1'S but read a few cautious reviews regarding the tyre walls perishing, so think i'll opt for the ZX'S , have the same reservations about the conti's as you, altho they do get some good write up's.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Dru wrote:
    Hi people,

    As we are coming to the end of the worst of the weather I managed to dig out the Summer bike over the weekend and get some mileage on it ( 165km over 2 days is South Wales Sunshine 8) )

    Anyhow I'm looking to get a nice pair of wheels and tyre combination going on and wondered what the general feeling was regarding the SChwalbe Ultremos R1's

    I hear they are pretty good with respect to weight, rolling resistance colour options and have a puncture protection layer - is this so?

    Also you can get them for about £45 the pair which seems to be a good thing.

    I'm guessing that they are not the only options out there but I really don't like contis - purely from the asthetics of having orange writing all over them which ruins any colour scheme that I'm trying to create - but I don't really know about the others.

    Anyone got an opinion if I'm on the right or wrong track with the R1's?

    Thanks,

    Dru

    On GP4000s the logo's are silver if that helps?
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    zx's are simply amazing, they feel like you've got 5-10 psi less in them they're incredibly supple and grippy.
  • ct4oc
    ct4oc Posts: 98
    Dru wrote:
    Hi people,

    As we are coming to the end of the worst of the weather I managed to dig out the Summer bike over the weekend and get some mileage on it ( 165km over 2 days is South Wales Sunshine 8) )

    Anyhow I'm looking to get a nice pair of wheels and tyre combination going on and wondered what the general feeling was regarding the SChwalbe Ultremos R1's

    I hear they are pretty good with respect to weight, rolling resistance colour options and have a puncture protection layer - is this so?

    Also you can get them for about £45 the pair which seems to be a good thing.

    I'm guessing that they are not the only options out there but I really don't like contis - purely from the asthetics of having orange writing all over them which ruins any colour scheme that I'm trying to create - but I don't really know about the others.

    Anyone got an opinion if I'm on the right or wrong track with the R1's?

    Thanks,

    Dru

    where can you get them at £45 a pair? sounds like a good deal, I was thinking of going over to them myself.
  • Good tyres and pretty resistant to penetration by stones or chips......very comfortable and feel quick.
    Summer - Dolan Tuono with Sram Force and Dura-Ace 7850 CL Carbon wheels
    Winter - old faithful Ribble winter bike
    SugarSync cloud storage referral link (better than DropBox atm imho) https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=mzo2tcrhm5gn
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    IMO they're crap.

    3 sets I have learned my lesson.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    IMO they're crap.

    3 sets I have learned my lesson.

    In what way are they 'crap'?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

    http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Rs were of course recalled.

    2 sets of R1s two sidewalls gave out, one tyre same problem it seemed as the Rs and one tyre wore to the carcass in one spot after 3 months.

    Also they cut very easy and seem very prone to puncturing.

    Contis all the way.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Rs were of course recalled.

    2 sets of R1s two sidewalls gave out, one tyre same problem it seemed as the Rs and one tyre wore to the carcass in one spot after 3 months.

    Also they cut very easy and seem very prone to puncturing.

    Contis all the way.

    interesting. Seems like you had some bad luck with them. I've used all sorts of Schwalbe tyres including loads of Ultremo's and hardly punctured. The Ultremo's have also been very tough and lasted as well as being the grippiest tyres I've ever used. Unless people want to use tubs I always recommend Schwalbe and in particular Ultremo's.

    I've used all brands of tyres - some have good and bad points but IMO Schwalbe seem to do everything very well.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

    http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    ct4oc wrote:
    where can you get them at £45 a pair? sounds like a good deal, I was thinking of going over to them myself.
    On ebay woollyhatshop are doing Ultremo R1 at £20 each, with £2.50 postage and second item free so works out at £42.50/pair.

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0535365655

    I couldn't resist any longer, bought some this morning :D

    I looked at Wiggle reviews and threads on here but very few people had issues with them. I've seen more whinges about Conti road tyres than any other, so who knows...?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    On the same subject, the Vredesteins at Ribble are tempting me at the moment - similar price for the Superlites, which look very good. Any Vredestein users around?
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Zachariah wrote:
    On the same subject, the Vredesteins at Ribble are tempting me at the moment - similar price for the Superlites, which look very good. Any Vredestein users around?

    I've got some Vredestein Sportrac 3's on my car, does that count? BTW they're fantastic and much better than Conti or Michelins :lol:
  • ct4oc
    ct4oc Posts: 98
    any ideas where the cheapest place is for the ZXs?
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    ct4oc wrote:
    any ideas where the cheapest place is for the ZXs?

    They seem cheaper in Germany, eg. here: http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... 2011-.html

    Whether the difference is enough to make up for postage, you must find out yourself.
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    PeterBL wrote:
    ct4oc wrote:
    any ideas where the cheapest place is for the ZXs?

    They seem cheaper in Germany, eg. here: http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... 2011-.html

    Whether the difference is enough to make up for postage, you must find out yourself.

    Or for the same price Ribble have them on offer @£24.39 only 700x23 in stock at the moment
  • ct4oc
    ct4oc Posts: 98
    cool, thank you.
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    brin wrote:
    Or for the same price Ribble have them on offer @£24.39 only 700x23 in stock at the moment
    That is definitely cheap. I didn't find them for less than 27 GBP yesterday (froogle.co.uk).
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    I have these and they are amazing:

    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... HALTYRF190

    much nicer than my Rubino Pro3's I had before.

    I have also ordered a pair of theser to try out:

    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ELXTYRF350

    meant to be great!
  • ct4oc
    ct4oc Posts: 98
    brin wrote:
    PeterBL wrote:
    ct4oc wrote:
    any ideas where the cheapest place is for the ZXs?

    They seem cheaper in Germany, eg. here: http://www.bike-components.de/products/ ... 2011-.html

    Whether the difference is enough to make up for postage, you must find out yourself.

    Or for the same price Ribble have them on offer @£24.39 only 700x23 in stock at the moment

    My LBS just price matched for me! :D so I bought a set.