Bike cover within household insurance - recommendations

simonjbrooks
simonjbrooks Posts: 25
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
My insurer has a limit of 2k per bike on my current household insurance. Which insurers would you recommend? Are the bikes covered outside the house? What gottchas have you experienced? Who are good or bad at processing claims?

Many thanks for your constructive advice.

Comments

• WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    Marks and Spencer seems to be pretty popular and covers up to £4k
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Might be worth reading the thread 'Burglary at the seekrit bunker' on www.yacf.co.uk about the victim having an issue with M&S after a robbery of bikes altho' the bikes were kept elsewhere
    M.Rushton
  • Red Rock
    Red Rock Posts: 517
    I'm now with M&S after hearing so many good reviews from other cyclist and their insurance also includes personal liability cover for you and your family which covers private pursuits like cycling; I even phoned them to double check :D
  • Do M&S cover the bikes if they are kept in a shed or garage?
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    they wont insure me - anything else ?? (flood plain)
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I negotiated mine with Legal & General £7ish a month on top of my contents policy for 2 x £1300 bikes and near as dmmit fully comprehensive car insurance cover
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    Scrumple wrote:
    they wont insure me - anything else ?? (flood plain)

same issue - but got as good if not a better deal from Sainsburys - all 3 bikes insured, when locked or being ridden - added only £125 to the premium - saved £600 plus on individual cycle insurance

bike insurance must be a rip off - it cost more to take out a policy with E&L or CTC than it does to insure my new car!!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    M&S for me.

But you HAVE to take the additional "away from home" option. No point otherwise.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    M&S no contest.
  • nottscobb
    nottscobb Posts: 147
    I have mine covered with Nationwide. I've worked on the principle that only 1 bike is away from home at anyone time and I'll be very unlucky to have that one nicked on the same day as someone takes the rest from the garage. It works out cheaper than M&S too.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I'm with Aviva.
    I pay £36 per month for buildings and contents insurance. This includes 4 bikes, totaling about £8k. The most expensive is about £2.5k. This insurance covers the bikes at home (stored in the garage), and away from the home, provided that the bikes are locked up. They're also covered for European travel.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • I'm with M&S which seems to be a great price. The only problem of note ( which was fully down to my own fault) You have to ensure you have the out of house cover so that if you do have an accident whilst out on the road your bike is covered.

I misread the out of house cover section so didn't take it up. Hence my bike hasn't been covered when I had my accident. Luckily I was hit by a car ( depending on how you look at it lol) so I'm claiming against him using the legal cover I took up with them within the policy.

So I would fully recommend M&S just make sure yo get the right cover.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I'm more bothered about damage insurance - you can fall off easily and trash a £3k frame.
  • LV for me. Not sure if there is a limit on the value of the bikes as mine are worth far less than £1k.
    There only stipulation is that the bikes are locked to something fixed. Any lock will do, even a cheap Tesco one.