Anyone cycled from oxford to wheatley?

cycling psychologist
edited April 2011 in Commuting chat
This is potentially a new commute for me (have interview in a couple of weeks). I was talking to someone today who said that I'd be mad to do it. Does anyone have any experience of cycling round this way, and if so, what is it like? I have no idea about he area at all!

Comments

• I don't understand why someone would think you are mad to do it?

I work in the High Street but live near to Woodstock which is probably the same distance and because I work nights I am always travelling against the traffic. This is good because you are facing those people who got up late and think they own the road.

If I was going from town to Wheatley I would travel across Magdalen Bridge and straight along Cowley Road, cross the Eastern Bypass (ring road) near to the Mini works and head out towards Horspath. Through Horspath down Gidley road and then in to the back of Wheatley. I have cycled it but not commuted it and I think it is a nice ride and you get to see some of the countryside.

Do not take the major roads through Headington and go onto the A40 as this would be madness for 2 reasons 1) it is a dual carriageway that has no cycletrack 2) It is the main route for London commuters from Oxford aka a racetrack!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    used to live in both Wheatley and Oxford; from B. Leys, Cowley to Headington.

The suggestion of going out through Cowley, turning left at Horspath and down into the back of Wheatley is a good one but there are a few hills involved and it's a bit of an indirect route.

There was a cyclepath by the side of the A40 which was fine but if you're in the centre of Oxford you've got to get up Headington hill.

If you're in a hurry then headington and along the A40 is the way to go but for a more pleasant route then I'd opt for Horspath.
  • Thank you both! Headington hill was mentioned as a good reason for not doing it! I don't know Oxford at all, so the assurances that it is a perfectly do-able trek is much appreciated. I had looked on the map and thought the Horspath route looked the most appealing and appears to be only a couple of miles longer (about 71/2 all told according to the transport direct route planner). I am holding out an unrealistic hope that the X5 will stop somewhere outside Oxford after Bicester, but can't guarantee that.

Moderately hilly I think I can deal with - hey it's cheaper than a gym membership!

Thanks again!
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Headington Hill isn't so bad. It's steepish but relatively short. You'll be fine. Pretty sure you can do the whole ride on decent cycle paths.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    If you've got a mountain bike and fancy a proper hill, you can go straight over Shotover too :D Probably not the ideal everyday route, though.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, Headington Hill featured on my daily commute for the last seven years. It's really not that bad.

Looking at Open Cycle Map, you could go down Cowley Road then onto Barracks Lane which is not open to cars, and then onto Horsepath Road (a dead end for cars) which brings you out exactly where you need to be on the ring road. I've never been down Barracks Lane, but it looks like a good option.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    this is perfectly doable. I suspect that anyone who thinks it's mad to even try can't ride a bike, and Headington Hill is part of hundreds of people's bike commutes. Just play with the options and see which route you like best. It'll be Horspath.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    +1: Headington Hill is doable, used to have to do it every night after working in the bars of Oxford but as others (including me) the Horspath route is very nice but when I lived at B.Leys used to go through Garsington.
  • mapleflot
    mapleflot Posts: 81
    I think, in the winter darkness, the A40 north/east side cycletrack would be the preferred route (tunnel under Headington Roundabout) since the Horsepath route can be a narrow rat run at rush hours with some lonely spots. Tho I doubt either are gritted during black ice days! In the summer.. no problem.
    Headington Hill is def. do-able.. My non-cyclist-to-start-with wife did it daily for 2 years..she walked most/some of it at first but was up the whole way soon enough. Good way to wake up in the a.m.!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Headington hill is only a hill to non-cyclists...

I used to blat up it on a 46-16 singlespeed and I'm really not that fit!
  • It's perfectly do-able. Plenty of casual cyclists grinding up Headington hill every day. I would give the road through Horsepath a go but I think it's one of places where motorists see a few metres of clear space ahead and get their foot down. I'm not sure if the cycle track along the A40 extends all the way to Wheatley but that would be a good route if you like to be a bit more separated from the traffic.

Good luck with the interview.
  • mapleflot
    mapleflot Posts: 81
    devilstick wrote:
    I'm not sure if the cycle track along the A40 extends all the way to Wheatley but that would be a good route if you like to be a bit more separated from the traffic.

Yeah it does go to the Wheatley junction.. it swings up when it meets the B4027
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=51.755 ... &t=h&hl=en
    but then continues until the Wheatley turn off and overpass.
  • Oh thank you all so much - I feel much happier giving it a shot! Now to nail the interview!! :?

I will report back!

S :-)
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    good luck
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • Well, I went and got the darn job :-). Very excited! Looked at the route via the bus on the way to and from the interview and it seems doable. Headington hill is steep but short, so I reckon I'll get there!

thanks again for all the route advice!!!

S :-)
  • Congratulations & welcome to the land of the spires
  • I only saw a tiny bit of the city yesterday but between you and me I thought it was nicer than cambridge :-)
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    I'm a police officer in Oxford and I would heartily discourage you from using Barracks Lane particularly in the dark.