Help - someone's nicking my bike piece by piece...

markshaw77
markshaw77 Posts: 437
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
... But not in the order you might expect!!!

Last year, while my SS was locked in and around London I had the following pinched:
- 2 x cateye light mounts (no lights!)
- 2 x crank bolts (didn't take crank arms or pedals)
- 1 x front sks raceguard (they kindly left the rear)
- 2 x wheel reflectors

And the today I arrive to find someone has nicked the chain off my bike - it was about 3000 miles old and disgustingly dirty so hardly appealing!!! It had no quick link so someone obviously had a chain tool handy which means they have an idea what they are about.

What is wrong with thieves these days?!? Can't be bothered to do the job properly or just trying to disable my bike so I leave it in one place long enough for them to have a good go at the locks?

Either way, while I can smile now they have been pretty irritating at the time - TBH if the had just asked me for the cash to buy the bits they took i would probag have said yes!!!! it would have been a lot less aggro all round!!

Comments

• Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Someone's plotting their subtle revenge, you'll find your innertubes have been taken out next (tyres left on of course!). Who've you pi$$ed off??
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    That is weird -who carries a chain tool in their pocket apart from a cyclist ?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    That is weird -who carries a chain tool in their pocket apart from a cyclist ?

I'd have thought it was someone deliberately trying to create mischief. No chain tool required - just some bolt croppers......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you sure those bits didn't simply fall off?
  • Marcus_C wrote:
    Someone's plotting their subtle revenge, you'll find your innertubes have been taken out next (tyres left on of course!). Who've you pi$$ed off??

thats been done to at least one bike in the rack at work. not by me i hasten to add, but it was fun watching the guy scratch his head on how they did it.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I suspect the chain was done so they could come back later and try and take the rest, after you left it where it was overnight to get a new one for the next day.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I see a purchase of a cheap, disposable surveillance camera in your future.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Zachariah wrote:
    I see a purchase of a cheap, disposable surveillance camera in your future.

They'll nick that too :P