Buying 2nd hand

leonr
leonr Posts: 83
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Hi again guys, I did ask this in my other thread but it's not relevant to the thread title so I guess it's best to start a new one!

Is there anyway to proove somebody bought the bike new? And that it's not been stolen? Do they get papers with it, manual etc?

The other thing is, do bikes generally come in different colours depending on their size? Or could the seller 'make a mistake' on the frame size etc if they had no idea what they are on about?

What do people check/look for when buying 2nd hand if its via ebay or some other website?

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I think you get a feel for whether it's dodgy or not.

Most people, if they are relatively keen, will have the manuals, possibly reciepts for their bike. Can talk about where they got it, riding it, what they have done to it...and when you go to collect it - if it's some shifty family with a pitbull - walk away...

Also the auctions on Ebay..you just know when it's hot.

Different coloured bikes for different sizes of the same model? Nah...wouldn't think so.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    leonr wrote:
    What do people check/look for when buying 2nd hand if its via ebay or some other website?

Previous sales (ebay), see if they buy and sell bike stuff often. And quality of information generally. Sure, thick people buy bikes and lose the paperwork / can't read the name of the fork from the fork decal - they aren't all stolen. But then someone who doesn't even know the details of the bike they're selling won't know how to service it either.
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Ask to go and have a look before you buy, check the frame numbers are there and do a reality check, would a bloke in a council house driving a 20yr old Nissan micro have a £3k bike?....well possibly but I wouldn't have that warm feeling.

I've bought 3 bikes off eBay and they've all been great and ive saved a fortune so I'd defo recommend it
  • leonr
    dan shard wrote:
    Ask to go and have a look before you buy, check the frame numbers are there and do a reality check, would a bloke in a council house driving a 20yr old Nissan micro have a £3k bike?....well possibly but I wouldn't have that warm feeling.

I've bought 3 bikes off eBay and they've all been great and ive saved a fortune so I'd defo recommend it

Yeh makes sense!

So there are frame numbers then? Are these registered or do people hold some kind of ID which related to the frame?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    Mccraque wrote:
    Different coloured bikes for different sizes of the same model? Nah...wouldn't think so.

however, different levels in a spec range might be different colours....for instance...look at the 2011 commencal meta 5.5

The Pro is red, the team is white, the carbon is...welll....carbon...the factory is carbon with x0 finishing kit......

so frame size...no.. place in model range...yes....are often different colours.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Frame numbers are used mostly only for warranty work, which must be accompanied by proof of purchase.

Most decent bikes (here in Austria at least) come with manuals for the parts and a brand manual. Whether or not this person has lost them says nothing of being stolen.

If the frame numbers are still there, normally nothing dogy is going on, but always worth a trip to local police department with the numbers. If a bike has been stolen and it is of significant worth, maybe the person who it was stolen from will have filed a report, including the frame numbers.

All else fails, if it's a fairly expensive bike and not a BSO, just ask the seller questions relating to the bike, and you get a very good feel as to whether the bike is nicked or not.
  • if it's some shifty family with a pitbull - walk away...

The typical bad stereotype but funny enough it bang on correct lol.

I suggest you go to immobalizer site and search the bikes serial number if you can.

But at the very least, look for when bike was last serviced, if it wasnt check condition as some people look after bikes very well without need for services.

most importantly, check the serial numbers which are located bottom of the bike on the frame, and that they match with paperwork ect
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • leonr
    Cool, cheers guys!

Was thinking of something like a Dawg? Not sure how well that handles a 'mild' downhill rider though, probably fine for me.

I can't decide whether to save for a bike or a de power kite....... :x :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    if it's some shifty family with a pitbull - walk away...

I suggest you go to immobalizer site and search the bikes serial number if you can.

But at the very least, look for when bike was last serviced, if it wasnt check condition as some people look after bikes very well without need for services.

most importantly, check the serial numbers which are located bottom of the bike on the frame, and that they match with paperwork ect

Most of what you said is a bit pointless.
    Bikes don't need 'servicing', they need regular maintenance. Which I always do myself, with bits bought off Ebay, bike shops, classifieds etc. How would I prove, without some difficulty, that I'd bought the parts and ot just pinched the bike.
    I have also just looked at the original invoice etc for my bike - no mention anywhere on it of a serial number.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dan shard
    cooldad wrote:
    if it's some shifty family with a pitbull - walk away...

Bikes don't need 'servicing', they need regular maintenance. Which I always do myself, with bits bought off Ebay, bike shops, classifieds etc. How would I prove, without some difficulty, that I'd bought the parts and ot just pinched the bike.
    I have also just looked at the original invoice etc for my bike - no mention anywhere on it of a serial number.

To be honest with regards to the serial number, Id be mainly concerned that it was still there. The typical bike thieving scrote knows its there but probably isnt inteligent enough to know that its rarely used. Id expect most of these scum bags to grind it off or change it in some way

TBH theres no foolproof way of knowing but its all about building a picture of the bikes history from many small things like this

just my 2p
  • when i mean service i mean talking to them and if need be check the bike manual

All /most bikers will keep their manuals due to warrentys on forks, as for rockshox for example if you service the forks propperly and via a proper service shop your warrenty lasts forever in many ways.

Most doddy people wont have manuals or even know much about the bike in question, ie whats it like to ride, what parts have you serviced or changed sinse you got it ect.

within a matter on mins you will know if it a bad bike or a good bike just though talking to them.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    edited March 2011
    There is also a stolen bike section on here, below the classifieds. Might be worth running a search in there on the off chance before buying if something doesnt seem right. Otherwise go for it. Lots of savings to be had buying slightly used!
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    chrisga wrote:
    Lots of savings to be had buying slightly used!
    I can vouch for that, I got my Fury for 40% less than the new price. The gears and brakes hadn't even finished bedding in!
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    cooldad wrote:
    I could show them my CRC/Wiggle order history... 8)

Generally I think you get a pretty good impression of whether or not somebody is a cyclist or not. E.g. my garage contains 3 bikes, 4 helmets, 3 pairs of SPD shoes, lights, lots of lights... Not to mention all the fleeces/waterproofs/overshoes all hanging about.

This is obviously a bit different if somebody has bought a first bike and is flogging it because they didn't get on with it...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • dan shard
    chrisga wrote:
    There is also a stolen bike section on here, below the classifieds. Might be worth running a search in there on the off chance before buying if something doesnt seem right. Otherwise go for it. Lots of savings to be had buying slightly used!

+ 1

and PM the original owner if you find it in the stolen section