mate in Hospital with two broken wrists

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Meant to get a cassette tool off a mate today (replacing a rear spoke) and I get this apologetic text message explaining he can't get in today 'cos he's gone over the handlebars and is on the way to Hospital.

Transpires a car turned into him and sent him flying :evil: . Two broken wrists and off work for how long....

Poor sod never seems to have any luck. :cry: I've bailed him out with tyres and bits in the past. I just hope he can claim for the damages off the driver.

more details as I get them.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Ouch, poor fella. Chap I was in halls with got drunk jumped out of a first floor window (prank that went wrong) and broke both of his wrists. Was in plaster for ages. Apparently the worst thing was not being able to wipe his own arse.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Yeah? So how did he send the SMS then? He's having you on. Buy your own kit.

:wink:

Bad news that. Shows how easy it is to come a cropper.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    How good a friend are you? I only ask because it's going to be very tricky for him to have a crafty wa...

Best wishes to him and yes, he will be able to claim against the driver providing he has their details and an admission of guilt/witnesses.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Ouch - terrible news.

My mate who rammed the side of a car that U-turned in front of him going down Highgate Hill last August has been given the all-clear to ride again from April as his knee seems up to it.
    That good news is tempered by the fact he is due to appear in court having been charged by the police with dangerous cycling!
    Still breathing.....
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    More news - he didn't actually hit the car!

He braked so hard to avoid hitting the left turner (who didn't indicate, just swung across in front of him) he flicked over the handlebars and missed the car.

As there was no impact and the driver was obviously completely oblivious to anything going on around them that he didn't stop.

So my mate is left with a damaged bike (as yet to ascertained HOW bad) and two broken wrists (and a g'friend before anyone says anything!) with no recourse but to fix everything himself.

Oh yeah - he rides a Tricross, so who says the brakes are crap? :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Oh dear. So much for overpowered brakes.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's a good job he wasn't on an MTB with disc brakes, he'd be in need of that Chilean mine rescue pod!

Get well soon to him though, sounds nasty.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    so who says the brakes are crap?

Friction (of the block to rim), traction (of the tyres to road) and momentum (of you and bike to the rest of everything) . . . . . . .

Too much of any of them and you are off - it's a fine line and hard to mange sweet spot balancing them all . . . . .

Sounds like your man had too much of the first and last . . . . .

As for your mate having a girlfriend . . to suggest she "looks after him" as he's unable to support the activity solo will be a very interesting chat - please keep us updated as to how that works out . . . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Best of luck to him.

Of course moving your CofG back with flat bars as opposed to drops makes going over the top harder, and a stoppie easier to control. This is why Hybrids are so much better than those on drops...... :D I'll get my coat!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ah, but MTBs are better than both because you learn to:
    1. brake properly &
    2. fall properly. :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    To break one wrist is unfortunate...Two is carelessness. ;)

Poor guy! At least we all know to actually hit any car that turns in front of you now.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    two broken wrists (and a g'friend before anyone says anything!)

Thank god!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Best of luck to him.

Of course moving your CofG back with flat bars as opposed to drops makes going over the top harder, and a stoppie easier to control. This is why Hybrids are so much better than those on drops...... :D I'll get my coat!

Simon[/quote

Hmm,

Actually no. Flat bars may move your C of G back slightly but raise the body more thus amplifying the rotational moment around the front tyre contact patch hugely. You are much more likely to cartwheel a bike with flat bars than if you are in the drops I reckon.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

Simon

The CoG is much lower on a hybrid as they are made out of stone and lead... What is more they don't move very fast . .

So a slow moving, low CoG barge with a big contact patch trundling along will be very unlikely to put the rider over the bars . . . No matter how much they'd wish it would happen so they don't need to be seen by anyone riding one.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    "Cheap" hybrids also have a longer wheelbase than fancy road bikes, which reduces the chances of flying over the bars or accidentally pulling wheelies going uphill.
  • snailracer wrote:
    "Cheap" hybrids also have a longer wheelbase than fancy road bikes, which reduces the chances of flying over the bars or accidentally pulling wheelies going uphill.
    Yeah but...they're sloooow.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    i broke two elbows and one wrist last year kept me off work and off my bike for a day

time for your buddy to mtfu

sorry for his accident pretty much the same as the one that caused my damage last year and glad it's not worse
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I shattered my right clavical a while back (stupid kerb related incident) and it was hard enough to wipe my arse, am now really scared of breaking both wrists! I might tie one arm behind my back so I'm not tempted to outstretch both arms if I take a tumble.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    ^^
    You need...clipless handlebars :P