Oh dear me - LeJog at Easter - preparations look grim!

hambones
hambones Posts: 407
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Oh dear oh dear - (for the record I am sober as I type this!)

I went out yesterday with the 2 guys I am doing LeJog with this Easter. They have supposedly been doing a bit of training by themselves and this was the first time we'd all been out on road bikes.

I took them a reasonably hilly route (hilly being relative bearing in mind where I live). The pace was painfully slow but it at least it proved I could sit on a saddle for 5 hours even if I wasn't actually getting anywhere!

4 hours in and the one I had my doubts about actually started to get stronger and took the lead and upped the pace - excellent news. Unfortunately my work colleague (yes the one from the 'other' thread) clearly needs to up his game. It turned out he had hardly eaten the day before despite doing a 4 hour ride, and had spent Friday not eating and nursing a hangover. Needless to say he bonked big time (and no it wasn't with you know who! :wink: ).

I had to nurse him home which involved one last climb up High Beach. I could hear him click clicking his gears as the road ramped up. 'Save one' I told him as we approached the 10% part. Too late! He was in his lowest gear, his legs were like jelly, his cadence dropped, he tried standing on the pedals and then.... promptly toppled over into the middle of the road, unable to unclip in time. :(

Wounded pride and a push to the top of the hill later, I got him home - hopefully a lesson about nutrition learned.

Roll on Easter! :D
Still breathing.....

Comments