Loose spoke(s)?

wombler
wombler Posts: 85
edited March 2011 in Workshop
I have some new Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels (done less than 200 miles) and just started noticing an intermittent clicking sound.

On closer inspection, there is a section of the rim where if I tap it, it makes a rattling sound. I suspect it's a loose spoke or spokes. I don't really know what I'm doing where wheels/spokes are concerned, so don't want to mess anything up. Is this something I should be able to sort out myself (e.g. just tighten the spoke(s) in question), or should I take it to LBS for someone who knows what they're doing?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    hi - the spoke would have to be really slack for it to be rattling around in the rim hole / slot, you'd definitely notice it and the wheel would probably be out of true as well. Don't go randomly tightening spokes or you'll get a non-round wheel.

Are you sure the click is from the wheels? If it's intermittent and not related to he wheel rotation it could be pretty much anything but the most common sources are from cranks, saddles / seatposts and stems.

The rattle in the rim is most likely a bit of dirt or swarf that got in there by accident. If it really bothers you, take the tyre off and peek under the rim tape where you think it is.

Otherwise, ride on and ignore :)
  • wombler
    wombler Posts: 85
    I've just had another look, and it's not a loose spoke. The sound is coming from the rim joint opposite the valve. From a quick Google it seems some wheels get this from a loose sleeve at the join. I'll check with the retailer to see what next...