How to Carry essential gear over 25 / 30 Mile events / races

diddyfunk
diddyfunk Posts: 252
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Hi Guys

I am hopefully going to be doing an Evans Ride It in a couple of weeks time in Chobham and I am am aiming to do it as fast as I can instead of a gentle potter.

In terms of carrying all the essential bits (as well as water bladder), what would you recommend as the best way to carry bits like spare inner tube, chain links, multi tool and food etc?

I currently have the camelbak blowfish which has a 3 litre reservoir and loads of storage space but I was thinking of cutting down and changing to something like a Camelbak classic and a seat bag.

Any ideas / words of wisdom welcome.

Thanks
2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    For my long rides, I use a Dakine Nomad, 3 litre bladder. The backpack had loads of space, for everything I need spares wise for long distances (8-10 hours).

I find that I can still get the power down and ride pretty quickly with it, safe in the knowledge that I have enough fluid, and enough spares for the majority of problems that could happen.

Would your seat bag be big enough for all of the spares, depending on the length of time you'll be out for? If so, maybe try a long-ish ride with the set up you suggested, and see how you get on?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    25 miles isn't really much longer than a decent XC race. I'd take a tube, a CO2 inflator, a small multi tool and drink, personally I'd drink probably 3 bottles in that time, a 2 litre Camelbak would cover it. Ymmv.

Begs the question though... If you want to race it, why not enter a proper race, with results and what not?!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    People don't always need to race other people Njee, Sometimes trying to beat you best distance time is far more satisfying for a less racey person.

I like the chain reaction enduro events for instance, but most XC races bore me.
  • diddyfunk
    diddyfunk Posts: 252
    Hi Guys

I thought that entering an event like this would be a good taster for a race environment as it is also timed and a nice crowd.

I havent purchased the Camelbak classic or seat bag but just want people opinions on what they ride with.
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Expert Evo
    08 Scott Scale 60 - http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy25 ... CF2299.jpg
  • njee20
    Personally prefer jersey pockets, and I wouldn't bother buying a smaller Camelbak, just put less into what you've got.

I like the chain reaction enduro events for instance, but most XC races bore me.

Fair enough, just asking, if you want to pay to race an event I'd sooner do it with other people who want to race, was mere curiosity. I also find most enduro events are a victim of their own success, and are too crowded, everyone seems to complain about traffic jams, so I don't think much has changed!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    They do jam up that is true, can be right annoying.

And i'm with Njee on ot buying a new bag just put less in its cheaper and wont make a jot of diffrence to how fast you go :)
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I usually do 1-2 events every year, ranginig from 30-50 miles depending on event's distance.

For these events I use a Hydrapak backpack with a 2L bladder. I also carry a water bottle on the frame, just in case.
    I carry a small 1st aid kit, a little roll of duct tape, cable ties, spare tube, CO2 inflator, 4 CO2 cartidges, decent tyre levers and a puncture repair kit, my keys, phone and a few energy bars in the Hydrapak.

I use a Topeak under saddle bag with a secondary (small) multi tool, a few extra CO2 cartridges, 1 set of spare brake pads, Shimano chain pins and SRAM PowerLinks as well as extra tyre levers (as I've broken a Tyre lever on the trail)
    There was an interesting Thread on under saddle bags over the weekend. Perhaps this can help
  • njee20
    Bloody hell, sod that! Learn to take your tyres off without levers, that's easier. A first aid kit is potentially a good idea in this instance, although I wouldn't bother for an organised event myself. You won't need pads. Why take PowerLinks and joining pins?

2 multi tools and >4 CO2 caninsters? Really?

I'd look to trim as much of that crap as possible frankly, it's just dead weight!
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    As has already been said, just take less stuff in your existing Camelbak.

It would be sods law that you turn up with a smaller pack and the weather is a bit iffy so you want to stuff a waterproof in it, but can't... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I usually do 1-2 events every year, ranginig from 30-50 miles depending on event's distance.

For these events I use a Hydrapak backpack with a 2L bladder. I also carry a water bottle on the frame, just in case.
    I carry a small 1st aid kit, a little roll of duct tape, cable ties, spare tube, CO2 inflator, 4 CO2 cartidges, decent tyre levers and a puncture repair kit, my keys, phone and a few energy bars in the Hydrapak.

I use a Topeak under saddle bag with a secondary (small) multi tool, a few extra CO2 cartridges, 1 set of spare brake pads, Shimano chain pins and SRAM PowerLinks as well as extra tyre levers (as I've broken a Tyre lever on the trail)
    There was an interesting Thread on under saddle bags over the weekend. Perhaps this can help
    All that and you don't carry a spare tube?

I've often been tempted to get a CO2 inflator, but I know I'd end up with a camelbak full of the bloody things "just in case"... So I stick to a pump.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • njee20
    You don't need a waterproof for 30 miles of racing! Just pedal harder if you get cold :-)
  • mudsucker
    mudsucker Posts: 730
    I have a camelback classic and alwell as carrying 2l of drink the front pocket has enough space for tyre levers, multitool, co2 cartridge, phone and car keys. Pretty good really. I also strap a spare tube to the bungee bits on the outside.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Raymondavalon
    njee20 wrote:
    Bloody hell, sod that! Learn to take your tyres off without levers, that's easier. A first aid kit is potentially a good idea in this instance, although I wouldn't bother for an organised event myself. You won't need pads. Why take PowerLinks and joining pins?

2 multi tools and >4 CO2 caninsters? Really?

I'd look to trim as much of that crap as possible frankly, it's just dead weight!

I enter these to participate, not smash time reconrds and I do help other people out when partaking, sometimes these events are frequented by people who don't quite take MTBing too serious or are new to challenge type and therefore lack the skills or the kit to repair a flat or attend to other mechanical emergencies..
    In the past I've left a stranded rider with a multi tool when his Topeak Alien snapped one of the hexes off.

Muscle mouth you take yourself too seriously and if your hands are as strong as your tongue, you come pull my tyres off with your hands. I welcome you to try and I will even place a little money on it. No theyre not steel beaded tyres, but not all tryres are created equal, some require levers, some do not.

As for the links, I have more than one bike and my bikes are a mix of Shimano and SRAM.
    These items weigh grammes, not kilogrames, and if you add it up and you see a few hundred grammes as dead weight, get a refund on your gym membership
    PaulBox wrote:
    All that and you don't carry a spare tube?

I've often been tempted to get a CO2 inflator, but I know I'd end up with a camelbak full of the bloody things "just in case"... So I stick to a pump.

Actually read up, I did state that I do carry a spare tube, however I have had more than one flat on an event, hence 4 CO2 cartidges.
    It sure beats a pump, but not carrying a pump at all is a calculated risk...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Agree with most of what you've said there Raymond.

Out of interest, what events do you do? I'd like to do something this year, but haven't got a clue what's out there and want to start with something not too 'njee-ish....no offence :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Some fine mule like efforts being described on this thread!....

I'd take a tube, pre glued patches, small pump that is attatched to the frame, multitool, tyre lever and a powerlink-all off which could be fit into jersey pockets with ease. I'd probably be ok with two 750 ml bottles for that distance-there are water points on the Ride It events, so you'd probably be ok with one bottle.

Not much point in 'racing' a Ride It in my opinion-I've ridden one (it was ok but not a great route) they don't even begin to give you an idea of what racing is like. Plenty of Go-Race events being run for mtbing this year-hardly anybody will take the racing too seriously in that category imo.

Enjoy it anyway :D
  • Raymondavalon
    bails87 wrote:
    Agree with most of what you've said there Raymond.

Out of interest, what events do you do? I'd like to do something this year, but haven't got a clue what's out there and want to start with something not too 'njee-ish....no offence :wink:

Bails, last year I did the 30M stint Tonia's Challenge in Notts, got sponsorship and the money goes to a very good cause. Lots of cake after the event too.. for free :¬)
    I also did a PedalOn event 30M in summer with a mate, both events went very well for me.
    Ironically I chose Tonia's challenge last year as it was held two years to the day that I broke my right leg in 6 places on the bike. It was a good anniversary event :¬)

This year I'll do Tonia's 30M again to raise money and another PedalOn event, again a 30M event. Two a year suits me just fine, I have nothing to prove plus as you know, I am a Cannock Chase lover
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Camelbak Chaos (which is pretty small) carries - x1 pump, x1 tube (+puncture repair kit), x1 multi-tool, some sram quick links, a windproof jacket, some eats and the 2ltr water. That can get me round a 30 miler usually.
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I use the second bottle mount on my bike and put my pump, spare tube, multi tool, zipties etc in there in an old bike bottle. Just stuff some foam in the top and it all stays put. Did all the Thetford series with it this winter and worked fine.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I'd recommend taking a mech hanger too. I've had mine bent by someone rear ending me and also by having a silly off.

And I always carry spare pads, I've had the pad material fall off the backing plate once.

For the sake of a few grams it can save a ride.

I use a 30-35 litre backpack. this is loaded to capacity when I take people out. I just take out the unnecessary stuff for events.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • njee20
    I enter these to participate, not smash time reconrds and I do help other people out when partaking, sometimes these events are frequented by people who don't quite take MTBing too serious

Good for you, the question was about doing it fast, so I advised based on that.
    Muscle mouth you take yourself too seriously and if your hands are as strong as your tongue, you come pull my tyres off with your hands. I welcome you to try and I will even place a little money on it. No theyre not steel beaded tyres, but not all tryres are created equal, some require levers, some do not.

I'll take you up on that. £10? I dont take myself seriously at all, but I do take racing quite seriously, nowt wrong with that, you don't have to!
    These items weigh grammes, not kilogrames, and if you add it up and you see a few hundred grammes as dead weight, get a refund on your gym membership

I'm not a gym member, but I weigh 10 stone, and have a 20lb FS bike, a few hundred grammes matters :-)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'll give you 100 quid if you can get my Mutano TCS off my XTR wheelset with bare hands :wink:
  • I would'nt bother with all the extra gear - other than obvious essentials, tube, pump, Tyre levers (if req'd) :D , I'm not even sure if water is req'd, don't these events have feed stations?
    If you have a mech prob your time will be up the swanee anyhow (if you're as crap as me).
    Just go for it mate and have fun.
  • njee20
    I'll give you 100 quid if you can get my Mutano TCS off my XTR wheelset with bare hands

That would even cover my fuel, very tempting! Not coming to the nationals at Sherwood this weekend?! Hard to refuse that challenge :-)
  • supersonic
    Ha, I might have to come down ;-)

They are the hardest combo I have ever tried, and I've done hundreds of tyres before. Needed two people to get the buggers on, those XTR rims are very deep.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I would'nt bother with all the extra gear - other than obvious essentials, tube, pump, Tyre levers (if req'd) :D , I'm not even sure if water is req'd, don't these events have feed stations?
    If you have a mech prob your time will be up the swanee anyhow (if you're as crap as me).
    Just go for it mate and have fun.

You can't rely on drinks supplied at these events, some years ago I was doing an enduro with my wife. We were near the back and as we got to one feed station they were just finishing pouring the last of the plain water away. They had plenty of energy/electrolyte drink, but I have to be careful of what I drink as some upset me or have too much sodium.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Mini-pump, co2, tube, multi tool, preglued patches, two spare chain links, one tyre lever (I can do it without, but find it's usually faster with). That'll do in the pockets for racing. Add a bottle for water.

Shortish (20-30 miles) rides where I don't need spare clothes I'll drop the co2, add in phone, money, keys and a spare set of brake pads in winter.

Anything longer than that gets the mule. Got a mini track pump, pen knife, odds and sods like cleat bolts, mech hanger, spoke key, maps and whatnot as necessary. Spare clothes. That's usually good up to about 60 miles.

Longer/hotter gets extra bottles for water, maybe a stem pack for food.

Hope that helps!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • njee20
    They are the hardest combo I have ever tried, and I've done hundreds of tyres before. Needed two people to get the buggers on, those XTR rims are very deep

Yeah I agree they are, the old Ritchey rims were worse though, had you said Tioga Factory DHs on those I'd agree with using levers! Some tubs can be rather tight too!
  • Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    As for the links, I have more than one bike and my bikes are a mix of Shimano and SRAM.
    A SRAM (or KMC) power link will fit perfectly well in a Shimano chain so carrying both is still a bit of a waste.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • supersonic
    njee20 wrote:
    They are the hardest combo I have ever tried, and I've done hundreds of tyres before. Needed two people to get the buggers on, those XTR rims are very deep

Yeah I agree they are, the old Ritchey rims were worse though, had you said Tioga Factory DHs on those I'd agree with using levers! Some tubs can be rather tight too!

Interestingly I have a Tioga Factory DH in the shed lol
  • I'd give a grand if he could get my Conti turbo trainer tyre off :shock: !!!!!
    Doing a 43 mile event this summer, first 17 off road with a 760m climb over a well rocky mountain, second 26 on road. Allowed wheel changes so will be taking innertubes that fit both tyres(2.1 trailraker/1.5 Schwalbe marathon). Luckily both tyres come off easy enough...
    As for kit- (considering CO2 never used it before but) at least 4 inner tubes tied to the bike in safe places. Do those instant patches work if the tube gets wet? Couldn't imagine trying to stick one on in a downpour or "dreich" mist on a mountain?Pump, topeak multitool, crank bros levers, spare links, gear inner, maybe a set of pads all in the seatpack, on me as little as possible depending on the days forecast but most likely some lightweight waterproofs and bike specific sealskinz. Got a vast amount of lightweight drybags for kayaking so may put the spare clothes in one of these and bungee it to the bars. Given that I may have to speed walk/jog/crawl some of it, the bike is getting all the weight rather than me....heavy enough!