well, ive only gone and done it

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
i bought a tricross!!

photo.jpg

i got it on saturday, i had to adjust the seat (too far back) but overall its pretty good. drop bars take some getting use to

i did 19miles on sunday as a bit of a "run in" an it seems waay faster than my hard tail

one thing i did notice though mtb riders dont say hello any more.......... :(
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    mudcow007 wrote:
    one thing i did notice though mtb riders dont say hello any more.......... :(

You've ascended. Don't look back.

Congrats on your new acquisition!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Did you get your free cape?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    just need some SPDs on that now...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the paint radar absorbing as well?

Looks nice, but MTB riders recognise you have hit the top of the slippery slope, next will come lycra, then waxing before a total loss of sexual identity. :lol:

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    just need some SPDs on that now...

...and skinny tyres :P
    FCN 2 to 8
  • mudcow007
    thanks guys

im guessing the cape comes when i register then bike?

im going to leave the (nasty) pedals on it for the time being as im still not totally comfortable with dropbars. when im use to them i will get some spd's (be prepared for many questions)

im not a huge fan of the tiny brake levers on the bars, aswell as the normal ones. god knows what they are called but they seem to be in the way. on the topic of brakes....i had forgotten how bad canti brakes were

:shock:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I looked at one of these last year but it had those zertz insert jobbies that I just didn't like the look of.

Can 't see them in your photo - have they dropped them from the design?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    no it hasnt got them in either the front or the back, are they suppose to do anything anyways?!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    mudcow007 wrote:
    im not a huge fan of the tiny brake levers on the bars, aswell as the normal ones. god knows what they are called but they seem to be in the way:

I believe they're known as 'suicide levers', so you've already got their number :wink:
  • mudcow007
    MrChuck wrote:

I believe they're known as 'suicide levers', so you've already got their number :wink:

nice!

they seem to put no pressure on the rims at all = scary moments at red lights

i did a 19 mile ride on sunday as a test ride, it was pretty good, i hit 33mph downhill in traffic with crap brakes...good times!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    mudcow007 wrote:
    im going to leave the (nasty) pedals on it for the time being as im still not totally comfortable with dropbars. when im use to them i will get some spd's (be prepared for many questions)

im not a huge fan of the tiny brake levers on the bars, aswell as the normal ones. god knows what they are called but they seem to be in the way. on the topic of brakes....i had forgotten how bad canti brakes were

:shock:

You do know there's a 3rd position for your hands on the hoods right? This is the primary hand position for most people, and avoids the need for the interrupter levers.
  • mudcow007
    yeah i normally ride on the hoods or just below the hoods on the curve of the bar if that makes sense..

is there any point in the lowest part fo the bars? does anyone ever use that part?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yep - when it's windy and you want to hide.

hands on the straight section below where the levers are mounted.

You get the cape the first time you are perverted enough to go straight off road without stopping 8)

See me for colours (black) and sizes (xxl)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    mudcow007 wrote:
    yeah i normally ride on the hoods or just below the hoods on the curve of the bar if that makes sense..

is there any point in the lowest part fo the bars? does anyone ever use that part?

I do
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I thought you wanted a fixie? My arse hurts just looking at the aluminiumness of that thing!

Welcome to the world of drop bars and do have lots of fun riding your new baby!
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    Oh my, That is a little bit tasty isn't it! I nearly bought one last year but as above didn't like the inserts in the forks.

May have to sell the road bike and get me one of them! (2010 Claud butler Milano, For sale, 250miles old: Cheap :lol: )
  • mudcow007
    I thought you wanted a fixie?!

i do, im still looking for a old road bike frame (for as cheap as poss) to build one up
  • mudcow007
    Yep - when it's windy and you want to hide.

hands on the straight section below where the levers are mounted.

You get the cape the first time you are perverted enough to go straight off road without stopping 8)

See me for colours (black) and sizes (xxl)

ohh right you see im new to all of this weird shaped bar business, an still getting use to weird hand positions

i like the bike though it seems more ruggered than i was expecting to be honest