Ghosts in my cycle comp!

scarbs85
scarbs85 Posts: 170
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Noticed after a couple of rides my computer has clocked my top speed as about 110mph, and the distance is quite a bit too high. It was only after driving home, so I just assumed my front wheel had been spinning at some point and the wireless comp clocked it from the front of the car.

So after my last trip out I tied the wheels to make sure they didn't spin, and made sure the magnet wasn't by the sensor. I still got crazy readings on the comp. The car is obviously doing something that is being picked up and read as my bike wheels turning! Anybody else ever found this? I've no idea whats causing it, but a bit annoying as I'm losing all my ride info on the journey home!

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    i had something similar with a heart rate monitor....it would interfere with my cat eye. I'd have a pulse of about 300bpm and reach speeds of 150mph!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    If my wireless Cateye leans across the doors on the train it often shows a maximum of 90 mph.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I've seen an exrternal hard disk make a no name brand (Aldi) wireless comp clock 99MPH!
    I think it could be some sort of interferance, so I'd take it off when transporting the bike
  • sm1thson
    sm1thson Posts: 47
    mine (a cheap ebay one) doesnt like the dishwasher, obviously this isnt a problem when riding, I just noticed when I put it on the kitchen side by the dishwasher once lol.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    There's a magnet in the sensor that gets pulled towards the magnet on the spokes. I'm guessing the vibration of the car is making the magnet in the sensor move just enough to close the circuit.
  • Have you ever considered that you're enjoying yourself so much during a ride, that you really are hitting those speeds/distances? :lol:
    My "Bitsa": 7005 Alu h/tail, Marzocchi Bomber fork, Deore LX/XT/Acera trans, front: Mavic XC 717, XT hub, rear: On One Reetard, Planet X hub, Panaracer Fire XC Pro tyres, Cane Creek S6 h/set, Club Roost bars, Xero stem, Charge Spoon saddle.