Have I invented a new game?

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hiya!

Because I cycle regularly I'm getting fitter. I'm not that great but can trundle up hills at a reasonable pace.

Last year I bought a second hand runaround bike - a 30 year old Peugeot city bike - steel frame, pannier rack, mudguards, 5 gears with top tube shifter. I was out on it today, dressed in jeans and a shirt, meandering up the Bemmerleberg when a guy on a Trek road bike passed me. I quickly got on his wheel and followed him for about 1km. At one point I thanked him for sheltering me from the wind... :D He looked very surprised to see me still there!

I call this Stealth Cycling. Does anyone else do this, or is it bad form to keep up with a road rider while on an old city bike?

Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Probably not but it's rude to not get out on the front and do your turn! =P
  • pottssteve
    Probably not but it's rude to not get out on the front and do your turn! =P

True. I did consider that but I thought he might be even more p!ssed off if I passed him to do it. Apart from that I was already in my lowest gear and it would have been difficult to go much faster...

Still, its made up for Tuesday when I was passed on the same bit of road by a fat bald bloke.

(I've not been well....)
  • As you have seen, looks are not an indication of fitness or ability. :lol:
  • pottssteve
    As you have seen, looks are not an indication of fitness or ability. :lol:

Too right!

He had calves like my thighs though! :lol:
  • A troubling sign... :shock:
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Depends what you mean by getting on his wheel. A lot of people don't like to be drafted by people thay don't know, it's effectively the same as tailgating someone in your car.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Depends what you mean by getting on his wheel. A lot of people don't like to be drafted by people thay don't know, it's effectively the same as tailgating someone in your car.

+1

And it seems to happen a lot to me. One time, I had to brake and the idiot couldn't stop in time. One bent mech hanger. He rode off, whilst I couldn't change gear.

I take a very dim view on unsolicited drafting.
  • pottssteve
    AndyOgy wrote:
    Mattsaw wrote:

+1

And it seems to happen a lot to me. One time, I had to brake and the idiot couldn't stop in time. One bent mech hanger. He rode off, whilst I couldn't change gear.

I take a very dim view on unsolicited drafting.

I can understand that, hence my original post. Having said that, he came past me and then sat in front. I didn't have to do much to keep up as he wasn't going much faster so that, combined with the lack of wind resistance, meant I had the same pace.

Also, I made sure I wasn't in his back pocket.... :?
  • Shame, can often find some nice munchies in there, a mobile phone and sometimes some nice tools or spare tubes. ;)
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    I was once drafted by a nun on an old carlton road bike!!!!

I met her an a junction and she asked me directions, i explained the route to where she wanted to be and set off in the same direction, 2-3 miles later as i was puffing and panting into the wind a little voice chirped up

" I can take a turn on the front if you like but im a little small and probably wont give you much shelter"" WTF I didnt even know she was there!!

Anyway, lovely lady and really made me smile.

PS She wsnt in full habit on the bike i onlt realised she was a nun when i passed the local convent school the next day and she was on crossing patrol.
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • I was once drafted by a nun on an old carlton road bike!!!!

I met her an a junction and she asked me directions, i explained the route to where she wanted to be and set off in the same direction, 2-3 miles later as i was puffing and panting into the wind a little voice chirped up

" I can take a turn on the front if you like but im a little small and probably wont give you much shelter"" WTF I didnt even know she was there!!

PS She wsnt in full habit on the bike i onlt realised she was a nun when i passed the local convent school the next day and she was on crossing patrol.

Great! It's mad things like that that keep me sane :lol:
  • I was once drafted by a nun on an old carlton road bike!!!!

Brilliant!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer