Rode gears and freewheel for the first time in a year

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
The PF hit my fixie today - and my home kit was out of patches. I spent an hour putting my old Carrera Vanqish into roadworthy condition (been used as a parts bin recently) and rode the commute to get some patches from my office kit.

Bloody hell it felt weird!

Had to force my legs to freewheel ( and it still gave me an 'oh shit, the chain has broken' feeling)

Anything off the top two gears felt stupidly spinny

......but.... Way faster and pedalling in circles!
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• slowfox
    slowfox Posts: 7
    I, too, have a Vanquish that has been gathering dust since I succumbed to riding fixed.

And I, too, recently rode it into work to lend to a colleague who's considering his options in anticipation of the Cycle To Work scheme being relaunched by our employer.

Freewheeling definitely feels broken, and I had to remember to coast around corners, so wired, now, to pedalling through them.

And the very first speedbump back on the fixed nearly caught me out, as I prepared to glide over it, standing on the pedals to let the bike flex up and down beneath me...

You can definitely ride faster on a geared road bike (no great surprise), but since my commute is pancake flat, all them gears seem overkill, so I'm sticking to the fixed, for now.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    SimonAH

You'll be taking the stabilisers off next :wink:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    I've got a 'test-bike' from work with one them 'freewheel' things, you sort of get used to it after a while

Normally save the mtb / road-bike for weekends, but with the weather I havn't used a freewheel since Dec.

Still definately fixed at heart, just 'freewheel-curious' :)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    You can definitely ride faster on a geared road bike (no great surprise), but since my commute is pancake flat, all them gears seem overkill, so I'm sticking to the fixed, for now.

Sorry, I wasn't clearer. By way faster I mean way faster on the road bike than I was before swapping to ride fixed. This could be just down to improved fitness but I think it's more about improved technique forced on me by the rigours of riding fixed such as;

Pedalling on downhills, not coasting.
    Pedalling in circles (smoother all round)
    Attacking the hell out of hills

I do miss screaming round tight bends with opposite lock and all the weight on the outside pedal which you cant do on a fixie.

I don't miss having to do the ungainly stork dismount tho' The fixie 'step off the back of the bike' manouvre is so much neater. 8)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Feels weird dunnit - going from fixie to roadie....I am on fixie this week, but will be back on roadie for a 60 miler on Sunday.