RFEC Resolution on Contador case (full pdf)

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited April 2011 in Pro race
Haven't read it yet. Solid documentation, not opinion. Wont be discussing it, just may be of interest to some of you.

http://www.albertocontadornotebook.info ... ntador.pdf
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• tomb8555
    tomb8555 Posts: 229
    It's still an opinion, just one based on documentation. Whether documentation based on the opinion of experts who are being paid for their opinion is solid is another matter.

So they cleared him based on the understanding that 50pg/ml of Clen (and being clean in the days leading up to the failed test) would not have given him an athletic advantage. That, along with nothing fishy in his biopassport suggesting a transfusion, let them to the conclusion that doping was not the most likely reason for the adverse analytical finding.

Thus, they decided that contaminated meat must be the most probably reason. They then looked at whether eating contaminated meat was still his fault or whether it was not through negligence. As it's ridiculously rare for clen contamination in spain, they decided it couldn't be negligent to eat meat from a respected butchers.

The real sticking point that swayed the whole line of enquiry is the decision that the low amount of clen would not have given a performance advantage and therefore was not taken for doping purposes.

In the document, it states that due to the amount of contradictory technical information regarding clen usage and potential for contaminated meat between Contador's defence and the UCI and WADA reports, they requested that the UCI and WADA review the technical information submitted by Contador and respond.

Both the UCI and WADA failed to do so, and still have not responded. The request was made in December.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Wake me up when it's all over please :roll:
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Ron Stuart wrote:

Rip Van Winkle...
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    pass slipped stitch over
  • I've looked but can't seem to find the word 'plasticisers' or even 'plasticizers' anywhere in that document. :wink:
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    It all comes down to whether WADA can prove blood doping as more likely that eating steak. I far that UCI may have created their own neck noose with the Bio passport. Contador's passport is clean and so the argument goes that he doesn't blood dope, didn't on that date and so as there was no doping, this should be ruled out leaving eatign a steak as the most likely option.

I didnt quite understand the equality issue about whether all WADA labs can identify that low level etc but it seemed that was quite important too.

Hopefully he will just lose Giro & Tour regardless.
  • Gingerflash
    Gingerflash Posts: 239
    I just hope that the doubts as to whether he'd be banned or not has motivated the other GC potentials (Gesink, Schleck, even Evans) to really target the Tour this year more than ever, and beat him fair and square.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    plectrum wrote:
    It all comes down to whether WADA can prove blood doping as more likely that eating steak.

It doesn't. It comes down to whether the concept of strict liability is a fair one or not.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    andyp wrote:
    plectrum wrote:
    It all comes down to whether WADA can prove blood doping as more likely that eating steak.

It doesn't. It comes down to whether the concept of strict liability is a fair one or not.
    It doesn't come down to that either. It comes down to whether strict liability is the rule that all participants have (implicitly at least) signed up to.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    I am starting to get concerned that while McQuaid has talked about the possiblity of an appeal, only today, the deadline is up, this Thursday.

The document? Sorry, but I have far too much fiction to read and most of it has less implausible plots.

I like this quote on Contador, from one of the Milan-San Remo heroes:
    “It’s a story that we’ve been expecting,” Offredo said to RMC.fr. “We’re not unduly surprised. A little [surprised] about the Clenbuterol because we’d really have expected something else. It’s like the tree that hides the forest."
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Ron Stuart wrote:

You'll be very well rested.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I just hope that the doubts as to whether he'd be banned or not has motivated the other GC potentials (Gesink, Schleck, even Evans) to really target the Tour this year more than ever, and beat him fair and square.

That's a lot of faith in those 3 regarding the fair part, I'd be as suspicious of one of them for sure, as I am of Bertie ;)
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,761
    dougzz wrote:

That's a lot of faith in those 3 regarding the fair part, I'd be as suspicious of one of them for sure, as I am of Bertie ;)

To beat him fair and square, I would like to see them all tested fair and square. I am unclear as to how selective the Koln testing has been?
  • frenchfighter
    Giro d’Italia race director Zomegnan confirms Contador can ride

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7475/ ... z1HXMi3ZPh

There is a similar article from the TDF guys (here's hoping he doesn't ride the Tour though)

And it goes without saying that he is more than welcome at the Vuelta.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

(here's hoping he doesn't ride the Tour though)

Just out of interest Frenchie, why do you say that?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    I want Basso to win :lol: Followed by Gesink.

The Giro this year is horribly difficult. The Vuelta is a climber's GT. I will enjoy those more than the Tour. I want to see the best stage racer in the World go all out in his best form at those two races.

And of course, regardless of my opinion, I would think it better that the potential situation didn't occur where he rode the Tour and got snactioned half way, or rode it, won it and then got sanctioned and so two Tours in a row would be messed.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Pat McQuaid has said that plasticizers do not form part of the governing body’s appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, in relation to the Alberto Contador Clenbuterol case
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    You seem to have missed the next heading below the one you quoted, I fix that for you.
    UCI president says that Contador hasn’t yet proven that meat was the cause of positive test

and this
    There is another reason: the documents Contador provided have left it unclear how he could get Clenbuterol in his system when, as we all know, the regulation says that is the athlete who must explain it. Legally, this is not clear.”
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    You seem to have missed the next heading below the one you quoted, I fix that for you.
    UCI president says that Contador hasn’t yet proven that meat was the cause of positive test

and this
    There is another reason: the documents Contador provided have left it unclear how he could get Clenbuterol in his system when, as we all know, the regulation says that is the athlete who must explain it. Legally, this is not clear.”
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_li4urq5j4N1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    tumblr_li4urq5j4N1qa3ggpo1_500.jpg

That chamois needs a good wash.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey