Using the Garmin Edge

NigelUW
NigelUW Posts: 3
edited March 2011 in MTB general
I've just got a Garmin Edge 800 with the OS map card, and have to agree with the opinion that the manual is dreadful.
Being new to GPS as well, can anyone point me in the direction of a simple set of instructions to tell me the best way to use it for route navigation? I'm intending to use it for routes which will be a mix of on & off road.
I'm creating my routes in Memory Map; if I create one as a .gpx file, what then is the best way to get it into my Garmin and start navigating? Or is a .gpx file the best place to start?

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    NigelUW wrote:
    I've just got a Garmin Edge 800 with the OS map card, and have to agree with the opinion that the manual is dreadful.
    Being new to GPS as well, can anyone point me in the direction of a simple set of instructions to tell me the best way to use it for route navigation? I'm intending to use it for routes which will be a mix of on & off road.
    I'm creating my routes in Memory Map; if I create one as a .gpx file, what then is the best way to get it into my Garmin and start navigating? Or is a .gpx file the best place to start?
    import your route into bikeroute taster and then download to your 800 from there
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • NigelUW
    NigelUW Posts: 3
    bianchimoon,
    Thanks for your replies, but I think I need a bit more.
    I really am new to this, and what I'm really looking for is more an absolutely basic guide down at the level of 'press this key, then press this key, etc., etc'.
    Any help you can offer will be much appreciated!
  • bianchimoon
    NigelUW wrote:
    bianchimoon,
    Thanks for your replies, but I think I need a bit more.
    I really am new to this, and what I'm really looking for is more an absolutely basic guide down at the level of 'press this key, then press this key, etc., etc'.
    Any help you can offer will be much appreciated!
    ok you're obviously familiar with making a .gpx file (as you've done that using memory map ok?
    open bike route toaster.com
    go to course creator
    click courses
    click choose file
    point it to your gpx file
    click upload .gpx
    go to summary tag at top of page
    connect your 800
    click the gpx link next to download

job done