Cars turning left across bus lanes in front of you

Mr Tom
Mr Tom Posts: 66
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
I was just wondering what the law is here. There have been a few times when I've been going along in a bus lane which is the lane nearest the kerb and then a car has turned left from a lane further out and cut across my path. Is this basically the same as if they turned left in front of you on a normal road? I'm guessing they're allowed to turn left in front of you across a bus lane as long as they leave plenty of time/room and it would be up to you to slow a little if you're going super fast, but if they cut it too fine and you have to hit the brakes hard then they're wrong. Any ideas?
Orbit Fast Tour
Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
Ridgeback Envoy

Comments

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    They have to give way to you just as they would for a bus.

In practice though plenty of cars misjudge the speed of bikes or just don't look hard enough.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Mattsaw wrote:

In practice though plenty of cars misjudge the speed of bikes, don't think to look for them or just don't give a stuff

my slightly more cynical assessment of Mattsaw's perfectly reasonable post
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    hmmm - if only we hit the side of their stupid shiny cars with the same destrcutive force a bus would, they'd soon start looking...
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Mattsaw wrote:

In practice though plenty of cars misjudge the speed of bikes, don't think to look for them or just don't give a stuff

my slightly more cynical assessment of Mattsaw's perfectly reasonable post

I was thinking of adding something along those lines but I was feeling generous this morning :)

It's also worth adding that to keep an extra keen eye out for oncoming traffic turning right though gaps in queued traffic which can be extra difficult to spot.

There is a section on my commute where I'm usually hitting 25mph+ along a bus lane with queued traffic on my left. Having to look out for cars pulling out in front of you from side roads, left-hooks from cars travelling in the same direction, oncoming traffic turning right through the queue is something I'll never take for granted no longer how many times I travel the route.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    For me this is one of the biggest dangers cycling to work. Forget buses etc, it's the eejits who turn left across your path, or alternatively turn right through traffic, from the other direction, across your path.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I think I'm right in saying that there is an advertising campaign at the moment telling car drivers about the dangers of turning across bus lanes. Of course, the adverts aren't for cyclists, but for the safety of people on motorbikes.

At least on a bicycle you have a chance. I'd not like to be on a motorbike in the same situation.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Yeah, that's exactly how I got hit (or more accurately, how I was forced to hit). It may be because she was a police officer who hit me and they cannot be seen to show favouritism, but the Met have decided she must do a driver awareness course or go to court for dangerous driving. No excuse for not treating a cyclist with the same respect as any other road user.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    The old left hook is an issue, but all too often I see a car patiently waiting to turn in left and streams of cyclists ignoring this and filtering past their front bumper.

Nothing to stop a cyclist going round the back, or heaven forbid applying brakes and letting the driver complete the move.

Seriously the amount of riders out there with their head in the clouds or an arrogant attitutude is frightening.

You've just got to read the road and be aware of gaps and junctions.

Having said that, there are of course tw@tish drivers who don't pay attention or are just malicious and will cut you up regadless. :evil:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Anyone changing or crossing lanes is obliged to check that it is safe first. Unfortunately they may check but as they are thinking "bus lane" they are looking for a large red lump of metal. I get this problem all the time in Cardiff where the bus lanes terminate just short of each junction for traffic to turn left and the safest way to deal with it is to slow down and make yourself as big as possible - you shouldn't have to but better to be safe.
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    the Met have decided she must do a driver awareness course or go to court for dangerous driving.

I never realised that you now got the option of a driver awareness course for dangerous driving, I thought you only got that option with minor speeding offences?
    Soul Boy wrote:
    Nothing to stop a cyclist going round the back, or heaven forbid applying brakes and letting the driver complete the move.

Seriously the amount of riders out there with their head in the clouds or an arrogant attitutude is frightening.

Thats' probably just as big a problem as the drivers. Cyclists who have the 'I'm always in the right' attitude. There's no point in being right and dead, I'd rather be wrong and live to see another day.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Thats' probably just as big a problem as the drivers. Cyclists who have the 'I'm always in the right' attitude. There's no point in being right and dead, I'd rather be wrong and live to see another day.

One of the most true comments I have read on this forum.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Soul Boy wrote:

You've just got to read the road and be aware of gaps and junctions.

Having said that, there are of course tw@tish drivers who don't pay attention or are just malicious and will cut you up regadless. :evil:

+1 Live and let live!
  • jonny_trousers
    the Met have decided she must do a driver awareness course or go to court for dangerous driving.

I never realised that you now got the option of a driver awareness course for dangerous driving, I thought you only got that option with minor speeding offences?

Didn't have the piece of paper on me. Driver alertness course or face prosecution. Make any more sense?
  • Mr Tom
    Mr Tom Posts: 66
    Thanks for the advice :D

There have been a few times where people have cut me up like this and I thought they were wrong but wasn't sure. I guess it's just another thing to be aware of.
    Orbit Fast Tour
    Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
    Ridgeback Envoy
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823

Didn't have the piece of paper on me. Driver alertness course or face prosecution. Make any more sense?

I understand what you mean but I'm just astounded that they don't prosecute for such a serious offence :shock:
  • jonny_trousers

I understand what you mean but I'm just astounded that they don't prosecute for such a serious offence :shock:

I'm just surprised they didn't dismiss it completely.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Soul Boy wrote:
    All that and before AndyManc even posts on this thread! :wink:

I'm lucky, my commute is on country lanes, so most 'London' issues I don't experience, none the less being considerate of a motorists needs (and the effect on holding him up on all traffic, including you and other cyclists) goes a long way to improving your own safety at the same time.

Example, I have a blind bend on my commute, a car can go round it at upto about 50mph (at a push), so if I hear a car coming as I approach it, I either put on a spurt to clear it faster, or ease off to aid them to get past while its still safe (for them and ME) as appropriate, a casual hand up thanks to motorists who show consideration costs nothing either, they'll remember it next time they come across you or another cyclist.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.