Hi Road Cycling Nutrition Advice

SunnyBiker
SunnyBiker Posts: 8
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
hi, i have started cycling recently and i love my road bike but i have a query in regards to what fluids i can take before,during and after cycling.

there are so many products available i am confused.

i would like to know what products can i take for before, during and after cycling, which can be mixed with water and put in my bladder system in my rucksack.

also the prices vary quite a bit so i am not fussed about flavour really.

also what choice do i have for edible food which i can eat before,during and after cycling? fruit like bananas perhaps? yogurt?

thank you for your time

Comments

• Nerrep
    Nerrep Posts: 112
    In terms of drinks, save yourself oodles of cash by mixing fruit squash (not sugar free) and water 1:4, and add a pinch of salt.
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Basically (depending on distance) you will want some form of fluid replacement drink (obviously) and something to restore lost energy in the form of carbohydrates. You can get this from foods or if you don't like to eat on the bike through energy gels and drinks.

There isn't much between the various energy food / drink suppliers. Its all a personal thing really so you will have to take a punt and see what works for you. I suggest you look out for sample packs so as not to waste loads of money on something that doesn't agree with you.

For drinks i have 2 1litre bottles. One with blackcurrant squash and some electrolyte powder and the other is a tri carb mix of glucosamine, fructose and glucose. These are the ingredients normally found in the energy drinks you spoke of. I buy the ingredients seperately and just mix my own as i find it cheaper.

On a longer ride i also have a torq bar or similar cereal typebar that i will eat after about an hour of a longer ride.
  • Rapha
    Rapha Posts: 86
    SunnyBiker wrote:
    hi, i have started cycling recently and i love my road bike but i have a query in regards to what fluids i can take before,during and after cycling.

there are so many products available i am confused.

i would like to know what products can i take for before, during and after cycling, which can be mixed with water and put in my bladder system in my rucksack.

also the prices vary quite a bit so i am not fussed about flavour really.

also what choice do i have for edible food which i can eat before,during and after cycling? fruit like bananas perhaps? yogurt?

thank you for your time

There is a lot of information out there so it is hard to know exactly what to. The important thing is that you like the taste - so try it out before you buy a big pack of something. You are not going to drink something that you don't like.

Have a look on Chain Reaction (i don't think there is a nutrition brand they don't sell) or somewhere similar to see what's popular - just looking at the nutrition best sellers should give you a good idea. Or speak to you local bike shop because they will be able to advise you and might even be able to offer you a good deal to try a few of them out.