Just bought this RaceFace Chainset, what do you think?

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Hey

If you look at my link, this is going on the rocky mountain bike.
I have never seen this chainset before, I was going to buy the one from wiggle in red but they sold out long ago. and the one on CRC is 225.00.

Amazing colour (I think)

But what do you reckon.
He Accepted a best offer of 200.00 US dollars, so with delivery, just over 150.00 Pounds.

Thanks for the opinion guys

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    would have bought shimano.

works better and can be cheaper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • canada16
    Well I have a XT 770 chainset right now which is great, .

I am just a patriot.. LOL
    Love raceface, and love the colour.
    I heard the BB can be a bit tepremental, but because I never seen this model before, I thought, I just got to have it.

I heard the rings are really good, its just the BB thats the problem.

I will ride it, until it breaks, then will buy a hope or something
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    canada16 wrote:

Probably your only option since you bought it from a non uk source and Raceface have gone into administration.
  • CraigXXL wrote:
    canada16 wrote:

Probably your only option since you bought it from a non uk source and Raceface have gone into administration.

Lol... might just be me, but their website is down now too!
  • nicklouse
    The Northern Monkey
    not just you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • canada16
    Yeh their website has been down for a bit now.

I cant imagine the brand going to dust to be honest.

I have owned tons of raceface stuff and never had a problem.

I am sure someone will buy it, if not, looks like I will be stuck for rings if these need replacing.

I am such a bike tart, I dont even have the money or need the cranks, but when I seen them, I thought it would be one of a kind in the UK, as it seems they were only sold in north america or canada.

I asked him to put the value at 100.00 gift for less customs, but he refused saying he could go to jail..LOL, I guess he is right. so there will be about 30.00 added to the value.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Well all the employees have been laid off, it all seems to have happened pretty quickly but I'm not sure we are going to see a last minute reprive!

If you like it why are you asking everyone? I think it looks gopping and would sooner have Shimano.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    nicklouse wrote:

Shimano chainring suck big time...RaceFace far far far outlast them...bottom brackets about the same. RaceFace are far more Pimp (hence why I run a Deux rather then boring bog standard XT) its nice to be different on the trails :D
  • Tonyp_iom
    Tonyp_iom Posts: 35
    Nice chainset, I've fitted two of them to bikes, and they function perfectly well and quite nice cranks :)

If its bling your after then you got it :)

P.S. If you do have probs with the bottom bracket, shimano's ones fit :).
  • canada16
    Yeh I guess its bling I am after, wanting to pimp my bike.
    Been searching for that rocky mountain frame for ages, and finally won it from a ebay seller in canada, and it was only 200.00 delivered to the UK with customs, so got a bargain.

I am only asking, because I have never had race face cranks before, and I didnt want to make a grave mistake, but seems, like me other people love race face as much, cant really understand why they went out of business though.

Fingers crossed I get some Next Carbon stuff for cheap soon.. Ha

Well at least I own a nice piece of history. :D
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Very nice! Never used a raceface chainset but that looks great.
  • canada16
    Well after this purchase I will have to wait a bit, maybe until next month before any more purchases.

Also I have some ricthey WCS carbon bars on my bike right now.

The wife was not happy me buying this, due to cost, but it was like something had hold of me, and my finger got possessed :twisted: , I could not stop myself from putting the offer in.

Then after he said he would accept, I was like OMG what have I done.

LOL
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    canada16 wrote:
    Well after this purchase I will have to wait a bit, maybe until next month before any more purchases.

Also I have some ricthey WCS carbon bars on my bike right now.

The wife was not happy me buying this, due to cost, but it was like something had hold of me, and my finger got possessed :twisted: , I could not stop myself from putting the offer in.

Then after he said he would accept, I was like OMG what have I done.

LOL

Been there....many times :D:lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That'll look particularily good once the red has worn off the raised edges of the crank.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • canada16
    Its the same as my XT cranks I will be selling, the balck wore off quite quick and now its silver.

That doesnt really bother me, happened on my KCNC jockey wheels as well.

Cant keep a bike perfect forever :wink:
  • It's lovely cranks, my only worry is lack of support because 1. they have gone out of business and 2. It's bought internationally so warranty work would be even harder than before.

Cracking bit of kit though, always been obsessed with RF myself even though I barely have cash haha!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Surely it would have been a better idea to ask us before you bought them?
    nicklouse wrote:

how so? Mine have been fine and the BB has lasted ages.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    useing a single bolt to hold on the drive side has cause many a problem as it has to do 2 things, preload the bearings and hold the crankset in place. of ten it could not do both things and the crankset just fell off.

if time is spent then yes you can get it working fine but it is not as easy as, say, shimano. Or even the GXP set up.
  • canada16
    Might have to take them to the LBS, More cost. :(

Been looking at installing, and it doesnt look straight forward.

Thought it would be a : Just unscrew and fit the other ones, I think I have the removal tool, but dont want to chance it.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    it's pretty straight forward, i've never had any issues with my raceface cranks. Granted the shimano system is easier, but not by a lot.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5