New rider

Lord_Azrael
Lord_Azrael Posts: 2
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I'm just getting into the mountain biking after a very brief stint many years ago. I currently only have a cheapo type bike which I'm selling off as I know it won't cope with real MTB trails and would like some advice on where to start with a good solid bike. I'd ideally like to get something for primarily downhill and something that isn't going to break when it hits the first lump. I've been advised by a friend something like a Specialized hardtail as a good starting point which sounds fine but shopping around, what others are in this 'league' so I can compare prices?

I'm really not that flush on cash, so £200-£300 max really, and I'll easily get a second hand one, it doesn't need to be new.

I was quite tempted with the Land Rover Hydro though, purely as I have a Land Rover Series 3, but I don't know how they compare with similar models?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• pvtpile
    pvtpile Posts: 74
    You could try and find a second hand Carrera Fury should be able to get something decent for that money.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Avoid Land Rover bikes. They are rebadged rubbish. Look at Carreras from Halfords or a decent second hand bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools