Cable cutters - advice

Specialized Needs
Specialized Needs Posts: 802
edited March 2011 in The workshop
Hi

I've just started using some (supposedly decent) cable cutters to trim my brake outer sleeve. I've done about 4 cuts so far and each time the cable gets squashed (but not terminally) and the end strand of the spiral wire which lines the outer leaves an odd, awkward end strand bent across the opening. This strand is too thick and awkward to move or remove. It interferes with the cable - and will presumably eventually lead to an unwelcome - and no doubt critical - brake failure.

I must be doing something wrong (I don't want to blame the tools, and they are supposed to be good) - any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need an Awl and a file to finish the ends off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Awl to ease the strand out of the way and open up the, um, opening; then file to tidy the excess wire strand?

<sigh> I'm a lazy sod and hoped it was my 'technique' and that there was a more effective way that I just needed to learn.

Anyhow, thanks Nick. Need to dig out a file from the depths of the garage.

:idea: Dremel!

8)

Edit: poor spelling
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If you've got a Dremel then those things are awesome for getting a nice clean finish. If you want to stick with your shears then I find running a length of the old inner cable through the area to be sheared leaves a much cleaner cut and stops the sheath from being squashed.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    There is a knack to some cutters. Suggest you cut very quickly, and practice at cutting at a slight angle.
  • Cheers both.

I thought leaving some cable in might help (but in this particular case, I was fitting an in-line barrel adjuster, so no spare cable) - I may also try putting something different in, such as a cocktail stick, to keep the shape (if the section is short enough to poke the remains out - don't want to end up blocking it!).

I'll try a slight angle, too.

Damn - wish I'd thought of the Dremel sooner. Might have saved me a week of waiting and £30!