Cannock chase monkey trail question?

ScottieR3
ScottieR3 Posts: 207
edited March 2011 in Routes
Thinking of going to ride it on wednesday with a mate, questions are, we want to go early so can we start riding about half 8 in the morning, is it open anytime? Also then how long will it take to complete for two fairly competant mtb'ers?? .

We both need to be back for work in tbe afternoon.

Thanks in advance
RR/Cross/Commuter: kinesis pro6
Mtb: On One 456

Comments

• lexinoo
    lexinoo Posts: 132
    Open anytime mate,the fastest riders claim about 1hr20 mins for a full loop,most people take between 2-3 hours.By the way you could do just one half (follow the dog or monkey )if pressed for time.The monkey is much better in my opinion.
  • paramart
    paramart Posts: 69
    if your reasonably fit you will do both easily inside 2 hrs, unless you have mech probs
  • BennyB
    BennyB Posts: 174
    Im not fit at all really and I rode both routes in about 3 hours, with a mechanical problem. So you should be ok :D
    Ime diving, ime bored, ime on the diving board
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Should be an easy ride starting at 8:30 on a mid-week morning. If you just want to do the Monkey you could park up at the Marquis Drive visitor centre and ride down Kitbag Hill or park on the lay-by on the straight bit of the Hednesford Road near to the level crossing.

If it all goes pear-shaped you could always ride straight up the fire road after the Klondike Bridge section to the edge of the golf course, turn left and follow the track along the edge of the golf course (avoiding all tracks leading downhill) to rejoin the Monkey just before Five Ways.

Maps: http://www.chasetrails.co.uk/chasemaps.php
  • ScottieR3
    ScottieR3 Posts: 207
    Thanks for the info .blitz. Cant wait for wednesday to come round now. Weather looks good too.

If we aim to park at the start will there be someone to park from half eight or will parkong not be open before the centre opens?? Is that what you meant by parking in layby's nearby
    RR/Cross/Commuter: kinesis pro6
    Mtb: On One 456
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    If you want to start from...the start, the Birches Valley visitor centre is open from dawn til dusk, no probs if you roll up at 8:30.

From the car park you will need to ride the first part of Follow The Dog which is probably three miles or so. After a twisty descent through the trees, you will come to a fork in the trail alongside a huge notice board which tells you a bit about the route. Go left here to join the Monkey. There's a flowy bit of singletrack then some switchbacks down to a bridleway where you turn left, go over the level crossing, cross the A460 and then turn right before the pumping station to start the Monkey (it is literally a gap in the fence going up the hillside in front of you).

The Monkey is about 7 miles and finishes back alongside the pumping station. Cross over the road again and climb the hill to rejoin Follow The Dog. It's another three or four miles back to the car park I think it's 17 miles altogether.

Have fun!
  • Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    more like 13 miles for a full loop. Parking at the pumping station is definitely the best if you just want to do the monkey. I'd do the full dog and monkey loop though tbh, the old dog is riding really nice atm, and you'd miss out the Tackeroo section which is pretty awesome, the link section is another favourite of mine, fastest section there.