New car = roof rack question

lovewales
lovewales Posts: 411
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Well I have just bought myself a middle aged mum mobile :roll: and we are due to go away next month but need to buy a towbar otherwise we will not be going. I also need to take the bikes but funds are a little limited. So I currently have 4 x thule 591's which were fitted on vauxhall's own brand aero bars, has anyone got experience of fitting them to the (cheaper) square bars using the U shaped bolts that they came with as I suspect they will rattle around.
If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you can get the correct fitting to work with the square bars.

Mmmm 4 sets ouch.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lovewales
    nicklouse wrote:
    you can get the correct fitting to work with the square bars.

Mmmm 4 sets ouch.

The pleasure of having 2 kids and needing to tow a caravan!
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I used to use the U clamps to fit onto square bars before I got my aero bars now, they're alright no rattling involved clamp just as well as the aero bar clamps.

Only issue I could see was that a pair of bolt cutters could have the bike and rack off ridiculously easy very quickly.
  • lovewales
    Other option would be to use my existing vauxhall aero bars which are the right length but does anyone know if the thule foot packs/fitting kits will fit?
  • nicklouse
    lovewales wrote:
    Other option would be to use my existing vauxhall aero bars which are the right length but does anyone know if the thule foot packs/fitting kits will fit?

depends on what the Mum wagon is?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • lovewales
    I swapped an 03 vectra for an 08 zafira which both need the same thule bars
  • nicklouse
    you may be lucky as they can use the same feet.

you will have to have a trial fit and see.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    http://www.thule.com/en-GB/GB/FitGuide.aspx#startApp

Best check yourself, seems they arnt the same.
  • nicklouse
    but they can be.

if it has fix points then they are. but it does need more info inputting or poping out side and looking.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Hang on, you said "U shaped bolts", now there's nothing with mine that I'd describe as a u-shape bolt but the fitting instructions only show 2 fixings- the square ended bolts for attaching to the t-track of an aero bar, and the big curved thingmies which could be called u-shaped, which are the correct part for a square bar. So yep you probably have the right parts already.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The U shaped part is for square bars, if you do have them job's a good 'un

Part 50552: http://www.thulespareparts.co.uk/produc ... arrier-591

Also needed are the three bolts 50553 & 50554

I have no experience of how good the Thule ones are, but I have had other carriers that used the same type of system for fitting to sq bars, they did the job.

Thule's clamp looks a lot better quality than the clamps on the others I've used, although they were cheaper

I have 1 maybe 2 of the kits I think, if you're short of bits let me know
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • lovewales
    Northwind wrote:
    Hang on, you said "U shaped bolts", now there's nothing with mine that I'd describe as a u-shape bolt but the fitting instructions only show 2 fixings- the square ended bolts for attaching to the t-track of an aero bar, and the big curved thingmies which could be called u-shaped, which are the correct part for a square bar. So yep you probably have the right parts already.

I was trying to describe what you call big curved thingies, i filed them somewhere safe when I bought the racks so still have them all (I last saw them about 6 months ago) so I should be OK for these.
  • shx8000
    shx8000 Posts: 222
    I have Thule square bars fitted and they are perfectly fine. Such a great quality bike rack. Really impressed.
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    Another happy user with square bars too, you should be fine if you can find them, lol
  • paul_75
    paul_75 Posts: 61
    iv got a set of cheap square cruiz bars with the halfords advanced roof carrier made by thule with the same fittings and i have no movement or noise
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i have 591's fitted to square bars and there's no problem at all with them :D