Have you got fat thighs?

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi,

Since ive started cycling ive noticed my thighs have got larger as ive got faster and im starting to look bottom heavy, so I thought I would measure my thighs to see if I am 'large' compared to others.

If you dont mind could you post some stats.... :wink:

You can use this for BMI - http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

Height: 5ft 10
Weight: 173lb
BMI: 24.8
Waist: 37 inches
Top of Thigh: 25 inches

Im hoping to loose the belly in the next few months, extra weight over winter = harder training, well thats what I tell the missus!
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I've always had massive thighs, playing rugby over the past few years has probably added to it also.

It makes it a real pain in the arse buying trousers as not much seems to fit. :(

Height: 6ft 2
    Weight: 221lb
    BMI: 28.4
    Waist: 36 inches
    Top of Thigh: 27 inches
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    To the OP's question, er nope, I haven't :lol:

Love n hugs

DD

edit to say, sorry, obviously being female it's totally different but ex used to concentrate on calf muscles. I found that cycling changed those way more than mine or his thighs.

Weird.
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • McBoom
    McBoom Posts: 78
    Height: 5'11''
    Weight: 178lb
    Waist: 33 inches
    Thigh: 24 inches
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Height 5'11''
    Weight 153lbs
    BMI 21.3
    Waist 33''
    Thigh 22''

I run a lot more than I cycle.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    McBoom wrote:
    Height: 5'11''
    Weight: 178lb
    Waist: 33 inches
    Thigh: 24 inches

GSOH?
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    bmi is carp. it assumes average strength fitness and fat content, which is pretty rubbish for joe average. doesnt take muscle content and fitness into account.
  • Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 182lb
    BMI: 23.4
    Body fat: 10%
    Waist: 32"
    Thigh: 22"

I think I look bottom heavy...
  • jp1985
    jp1985 Posts: 434
    WooHoo I'm winning... bigger is better right?

Height: 181.5cm
    Weight 110kg
    body fat %: 23%
    Waist 38"
    Thigh: 28.5
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Mattsaw wrote:
    I've always had massive thighs,
    It makes it a real pain in the ars* buying trousers as not much seems to fit. :(

this is an issue of national importance! Over the past 20 years, I have managed to buy only two pairs of trousers that have fitted properly. I've chafed the crotch out of all the rest in less time than it has taken to walk to the nearest bus stop.

Next once sold me machine washable pleated front trousers that were ideal. Hoorah, thought I, until I discovered that the average display time for any product in a clothes shop is six weeks. Every time I have been in since, all they have had was nasty shiny leg warmers for stick insects.

I demand a public enquiry. I don't even care if it is chaired by Gok Kwan, as long as it produces results. :twisted:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    pneumatic wrote:
    Mattsaw wrote:
    It makes it a real pain in the ars* buying trousers as not much seems to fit. :(

this is an issue of national importance! Over the past 20 years, I have managed to buy only two pairs of trousers that have fitted properly. I've chafed the crotch out of all the rest in less time than it has taken to walk to the nearest bus stop.

Next once sold me machine washable pleated front trousers that were ideal. Hoorah, thought I, until I discovered that the average display time for any product in a clothes shop is six weeks. Every time I have been in since, all they have had was nasty shiny leg warmers for stick insects.

I demand a public enquiry. I don't even care if it is chaired by Gok Kwan, as long as it produces results. :twisted:

I blame Wiggle..

Awww, come on, someone had to say it..

Love n hugs

DD

Edit, current stats.

Height: 5' 8"
    Weight: 143lbs. Thats pounds not local bike shops.
    Waist: No idea, size 10/12
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    pneumatic wrote:
    Mattsaw wrote:

That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen written on here. You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    I wonder where Hoy buys trousers to fit his legs?!?!?!?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Aggieboy wrote:
    pneumatic wrote:
    Mattsaw wrote:

That's the most disgusting thing I've ever seen written on here. You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!

+1 lol...

Height: 5' 8"
    Weight: 158lb
    BMI: 24.0
    Waist: 30 inches
    Top of Thigh: 26 inches
    :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • pneumatic wrote:
    Mattsaw wrote:

Same problem here. BHS used to do some "perfectly clever " trousers by jack Reid. Note i say Used to .

too many years of rugby and walking 10 miles a day around site blessed me with large thighs and calf s. will measure em when i get home from work later to give you lot a comparison
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • stardude
    stardude Posts: 255
    Height: 5ft 10
    Weight: 240lb
    BMI: is a stupid and complete waste of time
    Waist: 38 inches
    Top of Thigh: 29.6 inches

i'm 5'10" and i'm build like a bit of a brick shit house.

above my waist i'm solid but a bit cuddley >_<

but bellow the waist, my legs are solidand cant pinch the skin, and at 29.6" its bloomin' hard to find a pair of trousers or shorts to fit. i end up having to get much larger trousers and wear belts.

i got a new pair of gonso cycling shorts yesterday and they only just make it past my thighs and they are a 2xl! although them do seem very small for a 2xl
  • irezumi
    irezumi Posts: 142
    Skinniest git here! :lol:

Height: 5ft 7"
    Weight: 127lb
    BMI: low (bf 8%)
    Waist: 29"
    Top of Thigh: 19"

What do I win?
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    I'm about 25" round the top of my thighs.

Talking of Wiggle and thighs ...

I have a pair of DHB bibshorts from Wiggle. According to their size chart I should take a size L but I bought XL because I'm currently overweight. The legs are still too tight round the thighs.

I've just bought a pair of 3/4 length knicks and this time I ordered XXL. They are supposed to be for riders 6' 4" or more. I'm only 6' 1" but they are a good fit length-wise, and a snug fit on the calves and thighs.

I reckon DHB think that all cyclists are very skinny with twig-like legs.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    irezumi wrote:
    What do I win?

3432_MEDIUM.jpg

As for me:
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 188lbs
    BMI: 24.1
    Waist: 34"
    Thighs: 24"
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Thanks for the replies guys, makes me feel better about my large thighs.

Talking of the subject of clothes it is a nightmare getting jeans to fit, mine are on the tight side in the thigh area but on the loose side round the waist, and cycling shorts are worse.

Currently using a M jersey and L shorts as the M doesnt fit my thighs but they do fit my arse, but the L is too big but fits my thighs and comes up near my belly button, granny shorts!! LOL
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • colsoop
    colsoop Posts: 217
    Height: 5ft 6"
    Weight: 148 lb
    BMI: 24
    Waist: 32
    Top of Thigh: 23 inches

Too many squats i think.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,631
    ColinJ wrote:
    I reckon DHB think that all cyclists are very skinny with twig-like legs.
    Actually they don't necessarily fit skinnier people that well, if my experience of their bibshorts is anything to go by - I tried small, and though they were fine round the legs, they aren't the snuggest fit round the ar$e, and seem to allow for bigger than a 30" waist. Gore stuff fits me much better.

Height 6'0"
    Weight 160lb
    Waist 30"
    Top of thigh 22"