any cheaper alternatives to the Condor Fratello?

davmaggs
davmaggs Posts: 1,008
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I just starting to get the inkling to buy a new steed and having trawled various online sites I realise that most categories of bike aren't that precise (e.g tourer, audax etc), descriptions are so light on detail for what I want, and trying to squint at fuzzy pics to look for mudguard holes isn't working.

What I'm after is a commuting bike with drops, carbon forks and probably carbon seat post that can take full mudguards and panniers. The touring category seems a bit restrictive and pricey, whilst the audax term seems a bit vague too.

Anyone one google led to another the Condor Fratello seems to hit the mark, but I really want to come in at under a £1k.

Any ideas?

Comments

• hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    davmaggs wrote:
    What I'm after is a commuting bike with drops, carbon forks and probably carbon seat post that can take full mudguards and panniers.

Any ideas?

most cyclocross bikes under £1k tick all these boxes.
    Hat + Beard
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,398
    You could build up a Planet-X Kaffenback frame for less than a grand I'd have thought.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Dont listen to the CX weirdos! Unless you are going off tarmac they aren't what you want imo. What you are describing is an audax bike, I have a 2008 dawes which is my commute workhorse. Like the fratello it has a nice steel frame and relaxed geometry, its been v good choice for me, this is the 2011 model:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Dawes-Clubman-2 ... _43370.htm

I've upgraded several bits over the years, the frame is def worthy of it.

Other options, thorn audax mark 3

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/audaxmk3.html

Bit over your price mind, second hand Fratello or self build from frame/fork option??
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I think Genesis do a nice looking Fratelloesque bike.
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183

Yes, yes they do, and it's loverrly!!!

And it goes like the clappers.
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    davmaggs wrote:
    I just starting to get the inkling to buy a new steed and having trawled various online sites I realise that most categories of bike aren't that precise (e.g tourer, audax etc), descriptions are so light on detail for what I want, and trying to squint at fuzzy pics to look for mudguard holes isn't working.

What I'm after is a commuting bike with drops, carbon forks and probably carbon seat post that can take full mudguards and panniers. The touring category seems a bit restrictive and pricey, whilst the audax term seems a bit vague too.

Anyone one google led to another the Condor Fratello seems to hit the mark, but I really want to come in at under a £1k.

Any ideas?

Johnny_Trouser knows my thoughts on the Genesis bikes especially the Equilibriums, beautiful bikes. However I think this may well tick the boxes you are looking to tick:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Road+Bikes/Dolan+Road+Bikes/Dolan+Preffisio+Road+Bike+-+Sram+Apex_PREFISSIO-APEX-AKSIUM.htm

Also if you sign up for Merlin's free club you can knock 10% off this bike - £720 for a bike with carbon forks, SRAM APEX, mudguards - misses the carbon seat post but you have a lot of change from the £1000 budget you mention.
  • Marcus_C wrote:

Yes, yes they do, and it's loverrly!!!

And it goes like the clappers.

You know, you're just the man I want to speak to. I'm looking to replace s broken frame with the Equilibrium frame, probably with a different fork, though. Can I get a more detailed review? Is it the 2011 you have or the 2010?
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    i was making the exact same search a while back but always the cheaper option just had something lacking that the Fratello had so I bit the bullet and got one and I love it.
  • Marcus_C
    Yeah, I saw the orbea is dead, sorry about that. Anyway I love my equilbrium, I built mine up with the red 2011 frame and the genesis fork (vanity really, I wanted it to match the frame). Using mainly 105 components it cost me about £850, there's nothing particularly special about any of the components I used. As far as i'm concerned it's about a perfect geometry, it manages to be very comfy and the reviews have it right, it's a joy downhill, it just feels easier to ride at speed than the other road bikes I tried at the time (scott speedster/cannondale caad8) If you consider yourself capable it's one bike that's well worth a self build, mine is about the same spec as the equilibrium 20. (Although I now have a bargain set of SRAM Rival shifters so I have a few more trips to the depths of my wallet to go now) As far as sizing goes it's fairly typical, i'm about 6'2'' and have the 58cm, it feels about perfect). It doesn't look as good with full length mudguards but the gritting has finished for the year now anyway.

If you can get to a place that sells them complete then ride it in a an appropriate size, see if it's your thing, then order the frame from that shop, that's what I did, and I didn't feel too cheeky.
  • Thanks, Marcus. I've ordered the full frameset. Realcycles.com would give me 11% off the total if I ordered both together, made it cheaper than getting the Deda fork instead. Excellent stuff. I decided that since the 60cm Day One fitted nicely, if a little upright, that the 60 cm Equilibrium should be just fine.

Quite excited now. :D
  • Marcus_C
    It's not a bad fork from genesis I don't think, I don't get any judder and it seems fairly responsive at least, and it matches! What'll be your groupset? You transferring them from the orbea?
  • Marcus_C wrote:
    It's not a bad fork from genesis I don't think, I don't get any judder and it seems fairly responsive at least, and it matches! What'll be your groupset? You transferring them from the orbea?

Yeah, the Tiagra I had on it still has a load of life yet. Any chance you remember the clamp size for the front mech? I need to buy a few bits to do the build.
  • Marcus_C
    The seat tube is 27.2 so I imagine it's 28.6 so you might need a shim. Don't take my word on that though.
  • Thanks for that. I think you're probably right. I've got a braze on mech with a band adapter at the moment, so may well buy a new band adapter to fit. Did the frame come with a clamp for the seatpost?
  • Marcus_C
    Yes, it did, I presume that was normal.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    It's not steel, but how about the Ribble winter/audax? Can be well specced for £6-700. Only downside is that with full guards it can only fit 23mm tyres, which may not be a problem for you.
  • Kinesis Racelight T2.

Full tiagra, carbon fork, plenty of room for mudguards and under £1000

http://blissbikes.co.uk/acatalog/Kinesi ... _Bike.html

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/kinesisT2.htm
  • Well, if we're talking alloy, there are some Dolan Presario frames on eBay for £70, direct from Dolan. I like steel though, hence the second Genesis being added to the fleet.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Just to wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting a reply. Very useful, and I may just go along to a couple of retailers to research my options, purely looking, no intention to buy etc etc
  • Marcus_C
    davmaggs wrote:
    purely looking, no intention to buy etc etc

Keep telling yourself that! :wink: