Best bike shops around the UK for range of stock?

d3matt
d3matt Posts: 510
edited March 2011 in MTB general
All the bike shops near me are very small and a very limited choice of accessories, clothing etc. The largest shop I've visited so far is Evans in Reading.

I drive around the country (well from Southampton-York) for work and often find myself calling up local bike shops on my satnav when I've got an hour or two to spare, but only to find they are a waste of time. For example, I called into one in Windsor last week and asked if they had any handlebar map holders in. I was told "you'll have to go to Millets or a moped shop, as you can't get these for bikes"!

So, could we build up a list of the largest bike shops around the UK that are worth a visit? Just the ones that have a large selection of clothing, accessories etc where you can do some good browsing. I would be happy to divert off my route for some considerable way if I was in the area of must-see-shop. i.e. where are the bike superstores?

I go over to N.Ireland a few times a year too, so Chain Reaction Cycles will be on my list.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.

Comments

• DirtMonkee
    DirtMonkee Posts: 373
    Online buying is leading the way but your right, cant beat a bit of browsing and impulse buying.

I live in the Northwest and there are a few local shops but I'd have to say that leisure lakes in bury makes a good sunday afternoon visit. I suppose most leisure lakes stores are similar so find nearest one.

I'm from Northern Ireland and yea, cant beat CRC.
    Elmo is my dad
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    DirtMonkee wrote:
    Online buying is leading the way but your right, cant beat a bit of browsing and impulse buying.

I live in the Northwest and there are a few local shops but I'd have to say that leisure lakes in bury makes a good sunday afternoon visit. I suppose most leisure lakes stores are similar so find nearest one.

I'm from Northern Ireland and yea, cant beat CRC.

Leisure Lakes near Nottingham sprang to mind so there may be a pattern beginning to emerge.

Evans usually have a lot of bikes as they are generally just the mainline models there's not much choice when you look closely.

Bob
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Try PedalOn near Reading, doesn't look much from the outside but they have a huge amount of bikes inside.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Zero G Cycle Corp in Bristol is a damn good shout if you're ever down here!! 4 stores:

Downend (multibrand)
    Bedminster (multibrand
    Specialized Concept Store
    Giant Concept Store

www.zerogcyclecorp.com

Loads of stock and brands, really good mechanics and a good bunch of guys too.
  • aaronmroach
    aaronmroach Posts: 341
    Try stif inbetween harogate and leeds
  • Thunder1
    Thunder1 Posts: 32
    One of my favourites, CycleSense at Tadcaster, a really nice friendly shop

ps: theres parking around the back :wink:

http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/location.php
  • Thunder1 wrote:
    One of my favourites, CycleSense at Tadcaster, a really nice friendly shop

ps: theres parking around the back :wink:

http://www.cyclesense.co.uk/location.php

Agreed
    I'm not fat, I'm big boned......
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    PedalOn is one of very few shops I've been really impressed with. IMO most of the 'award winning' shops may look nice but actually hold sod all stock!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The shop in Llandegla is quite small, but has a pretty varied range of clothing, helmets and parts.

My local, revolution in Bangor is only a small shop, but has a great range of clothing for MTBers, and roadies. It has a slightly limited range of bikes due to space, but what they have is worth having a look at.
  • rrice
    rrice Posts: 23
    Try Bikelab in Poole and Richmond (london). Some lovely stuff in there.
    S-Works Enduro
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000
    Cannondale Rush 2
    Kona Explosif
    Mythic Morphine
    Giant Defy Advanced
    Carrera TDF