Aw snap - The following images may cause upset

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Well, I set off this morning in my red-nose, face ready looking for scalps:

2011-03-18075949.jpg

Coming into Prestonpans, I see a scalp up ahead. Black road bike, not moving particularly fast, no problem. Blast past him with "the look" and a cheeky, "Good morning" and I'm off. Riding in a red nose is surprisingly constrictive but I'm fast enough to leave him in my wake.

Almost at the other end of Prestonpans now, and the front end of my bike goes wobbly. I dismount and take a look and find the following:

Look away now if you're of a sensitive disposition...

2011-03-18082845.jpg

:( My beautiful Orbea is dead.

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Ouch
    I feel your pain, my frame died in November after nearly 10 years of sterling service.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    :shock:

Sorry for your loss... can it not be welded or something?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,398
    edited March 2011
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo

All that sea air maybe. That's a fairly unusual failure on a steel frame.

ETA: looking at the picture closely, can I see what looks like rust on the 'cut' edge of the tube?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Duck tape!
  • That's such a shame, what a lovely looking bike,
    Any idea how it happened?
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    :shock:

Sorry for your loss... can it not be welded or something?

Doubt it would be worth it, replacement downtube, perhaps - but I think it's dead, not resting.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ince wrote:
    Duck tape!

+1. Or no more nails.

Sorry for your loss (rip......)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    ince wrote:
    Duck tape!

Or duct tape even.

(yes I know there is a brand of duct tape called Duck Tape, presumably capitalising on peoles poor hearing/diction )
    "Coming through..."
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Bummer. Condolences. Flowers or charity donation?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Oh noes! Real shame.

My first racer died when the seat-tube sheared through just above the BB. Was a sad day, too
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Thanks all. I'm really down about it, to be honest. I think that the failure has happened where the tube was butted. There's no rust, what you can see is just where the paint overlaps. I *could* get the downtube replaced and the frame resprayed, but we're looking at £200, and I'm worried that it might not be just this tube that has problems.

£200 is taking me into new frame territory.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    :D NEW BIKE :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    itboffin wrote:

Doesn't it go that you need two new bikes?

One to condole yourself that one of your bikes is broken, and another as a replacement?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    My 12 month old daughter can produce some slime that can repair that! She also generates the resin that sticks carbon strands together!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Did the guy you passed with a cheeky good morning and 'the look' give you the Nelson Muntz 'ha ha' as he went past?

I'd have had to.
  • itboffin wrote:

Looking that way. Needs to take mudguards and go like the clappers. Any ideas?
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Did the guy you passed with a cheeky good morning and 'the look' give you the Nelson Muntz 'ha ha' as he went past?

I'd have had to.

No he didn't, I suspect he thought I was just waiting at the side of the road so I could scalp him again.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I'm worried that it might not be just this tube that has problems.

I would agree, the fact that of part of the frame has failed would be enough for me not to trust it. At the end of the day you could be putting your life at risk.

Time to go shopping. :D
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I am wearing black to mourn

being sensible for one second - glad you weren't cornering when it went otherwise it could have been messy...

yeah, new frame and donor the bits over - bob jackson ?
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,398
    edhornby wrote:

being sensible for one second - glad you weren't cornering when it went otherwise it could have been messy...

Oh for goodness' sake, she's not even cold yet! It's too soon <sniff>.

Glad you didn't take a tumble in the process UE.

A Bob Jackson frame would be lovely though. OK, I'm over it now.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rjsterry wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

Oh for goodness' sake, she's not even cold yet! It's too soon <sniff>.

Glad you didn't take a tumble in the process UE.

A Bob Jackson frame would be lovely though. OK, I'm over it now.

We shouldn't be mourning her death but celebrating what she gave. Remember to leave a few scalps with the frame, as payment for travels to the afterlife (/shed).
    She would have wanted you to have a Bob Jackson, can you really afford to dishonour her memory by not getting one?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Well, blast.

I always quite fancied having one of them old Orbeas myself.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    That'll buff out!

Actually, looking at it, I'd agree that's a very odd fracture for a steel frame. Glad you're OK. A separation like that could easily have dumped you on the deck in an undignified fashion.

Ah well, time for n-1+1 :D
    Riding on 531
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    UE for some reason I thought you were older :oops:
  • I would kinda love a Bob Jackson, but I work with someone of that name which would make some conversations awkward.

Am thinking about a Surly Pacer, anyone know anything about it? It looks to tick most of the boxes, tough, takes mudguards, etc.
  • Wow, haven't seen such a dramatic seperation since Hambones and that Receptionist burd...
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • itboffin
    I would kinda love a Bob Jackson, but I work with someone of that name which would make some conversations awkward.

Am thinking about a Surly Pacer, anyone know anything about it? It looks to tick most of the boxes, tough, takes mudguards, etc.

Everyone loves a BJ :roll:

Come on must I do ALL the work ...?

If you're looking for a steel replacement then yes BJ or Mercian otherwise for an all purpose commuter i'd recommend the Ribble winter.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • TuckerUK wrote:
    ince wrote:
    Duck tape!

Or duct tape even.

(yes I know there is a brand of duct tape called Duck Tape, presumably capitalising on peoles poor hearing/diction )

duct tape is thin aluminium tape used for sealing small holes in - wait for it- ducts , when the test spitots have been removed. it also fixes gaps in a slate roof fairly well too.

what about sticking a bit of dowell in the frame and some woodscrews :wink:
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • itboffin
    Wrap it with carbon perhaps?
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    That looks like it's rusted inside - out....

Shame and all. Steel frames need a quick squirt of lube etc when new to stop that happening.

I've got two steel bikes that I lubed up from new, both over 20 years old.

Real shame.

TBH, try and get it checked out, and go for a tube replacement and respray if it's that sentimental.

I'd be OK with my 653 getting binned, but my handbuilt for me, Columbus SLX would have the full works. The paint job is over £200 if I decided to have a repaint ever.

If the bike means a lot to you - go for a restoration. If it's just the 'training' bike etc. then get a new frame.