Grrr stones and grit in my shoes

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited March 2011 in MTB general
A bit of a stupid question but is there a way to prevent stones and grit getting into your shoes when riding? I wear 5-10 freeriders and fine that on every ride I end up with small stones getting into the shoe around the ankle area which then work their way under the balls of my feet and become uncomfortable.

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Theres a price to pay for being a fashion victim.

I had the same problem with mine (plus they suck up water and weigh a ton) so I went back to more cycle specific shoes. Only thing I can suggest is wear thick wooly socks which catch and help prevent the stones working there way into the shoe. Not very practical in summer I know.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    Thanks I'll try the thicker socks. In know what you mean about them sucking water. Had to put mine in the oven over night to dry otherwise they would have been soaked for days.

I'm not sure about being a fashion victim. I don't find them particularly good looking and they look really clumpy on my thin legs. I really only bought these because of how everyone raves about how sticky their soles are and that they were stif in the sole. I also tried the Shimano AM40 but chose the 5-10 in the end as it was a wider fit. It's annoying with the stones getting in.

I'll have to try rig something to keep the cr*p out of the shoe.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride barefoot
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools